fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: What happens if you choose the wrong project settings?

What happens if you choose the wrong project settings? 28 Oct 2020 03:19 #110639

• dondré.gumbs
  • dondré.gumbs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What happens if, for example, I recorded in 4K, but I accidentally set the project settings to 1080p HD? I know you can always modify the project settings. But if you choose the wrong dimensions, does this affect the quality of the video in any way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What happens if you choose the wrong project settings? 28 Oct 2020 03:46 #110640

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
If you shoot in 4K and create a 1080p project, FCP will ERASE all of the unused pixels from your media, also from your camera originals even if the camera isn't connected... it does this via radio waves and the camera is forced to comply, even if it is powered off and your media is safely tucked in a drawer in a different state. FCP doesn't mess around. Of course you can restore the pixels by pressing command + Z (undo).

I'm kidding nothing is harmed. Just create a new project at the correct resolution, copy all of the stuff from your 1080p project and paste it into the 4K one. Assuming you left your spatial conformity on FIT or FILL then you shouldn't have any issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Redifer.
  • Page: