fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sound stay when overwriting clip

Sound stay when overwriting clip 23 Oct 2020 14:07 #110585

• NoSpHieL
  • NoSpHieL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I don't know if the title is super clear but it's hard to explain and even more since my software is in french...

Let's say I have my main timeline and connected clips above.
For some reason, I want to overwrite the connected clip into the main timeline (I hope it's clear... In french this is called "Ecraser dans le scénario principal".

But when I do this, for some reason, that keeps, and split, the audio from the clip below... And I have then to delete it :/

I guess it's a shortcut or something that I've type and that changed this behaviour, anyone knows how to turn it back ?
Thank you
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by NoSpHieL.

Sound stay when overwriting clip 23 Oct 2020 21:17 #110592

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
No, that's just the way it works.

Sound stay when overwriting clip 24 Oct 2020 08:38 #110598

• NoSpHieL
  • NoSpHieL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Really ?
I'm pretty sure i've never experienced this before 🤔

Maybe I mostly used this function on Video Only clips, usually for interviews or else, I keep the main timeline and let the B-Roll on top...

But it would be strange that it didn't bother me before :/

Sound stay when overwriting clip 24 Oct 2020 12:19 #110599

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369

NoSpHieL wrote: ...But it would be strange that it didn't bother me before :/

As FCPX.guru said, it's always been like this, from the beginning of FCPX.

If you want to overwrite both audio and video from a connected clip to the primary storyline, hold down the P key and drag the connected clip down. Or you can select a range on the connected clip (or the entire clip) with the R key, then press D (overwrite to primary). However it leaves a copy of the connected clip range, so you must delete that.

It was possibly designed this way because usually when overwriting secondary to primary, there are audio continuity considerations. You'll have some audio you want underneath the secondary, or else you want an audio transition. If overwriting to primary blows away the primary audio for that range, then you must fix that.

Ironically now that we have built-in audio crossfades on 10.4.10, this doesn't work with the default overwrite behavior, because the OPT+T crossfade is looking for non-overlapped audio. So if you only want audio crossfade it's actually easier to use the P key, drag down the clip, select them both, then do OPT+T.

• Page: