fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lost voiceover files

Lost voiceover files 18 Oct 2020 22:42 #110533

• 6rM1
  • 6rM1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My FCPX fcpbundle grew to the extent I ran out of disk space and FCPX would not shut down gracefully. I opend the library from a backup. All media files were referenced, so I got all those back. The voiceover files, however, were stored inside the library and the relinking process cannot find them. Three questions: 1) any idea how to find them? 2) Any way to record voiceover files within FCPX and have them stored as referenced files outside the Library? 3) Any way to get more warning that disk is filling other than an a non-recoverable crash? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost voiceover files 19 Oct 2020 14:47 #110542

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
Running out of disk space is a user responsibility. Just like running Disk FirstAid weekly, etc. Cars don't warn you before they die, mostly. Neither do computers.

There is probably nothing wrong with the Library, except the OS doesn't have the free space on the system drive for the millions of invisible, temporary files it needs to write and read in order to operate properly. Clear space out, move Libraries and media to another drive.

You can find files by right-clicking a Library, select Show Package Contents. But I think the solution to your problem will make your original Library work properly again.

1- Get Final Cut Library Manager from ArcticWhiteness to delete all render and analysis files. That'll cut a ton of space down, I'm going to bet.
2- Then in Preferences turn OFF Background Rendering and NEVER turn it back on.
3- Get a secondary, very fast, external drive and put all your media and Libraries on it.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Lost voiceover files 19 Oct 2020 14:56 #110544

• 6rM1
  • 6rM1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow, great answer. Thanks!

• Page: