fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: QuickTime and MediaInfo report clip as 23.976 frames per second, FCPX reports 25

QuickTime and MediaInfo report clip as 23.976 frames per second, FCPX reports 25 27 Sep 2020 09:32 #110255

• wizoomer95
  • wizoomer95's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I'm new here, and even upon Googling for information, nothing seems to pertain to my particular situation. I have a video file I'd like to edit in Final Cut Pro X. It's a traditional 1080p MP4 file, H264-encoded with AAC audio. MediaInfo, QuickTime, and even VLC all report the frame rate as 23.976 (NTSC Film). I'm 99.999% sure that this is the proper frame rate for this particular video file.

However, whenever I attempt to import this video into FCPX, it reports the frame rate as 25 frames per second. I have other video files at the NTSC film framerate that I'd like to use in my project, and they're already in the timeline. So in theory, there's no reason why I can't use the clip directly with the same frame rate without frame rate conversion or audio pitch/speed issues.

However, because FCPX is treating the clip as if it's 25fps, it slows the clip down unnecessarily. The only thing weird is that the duration of the clip is still roughly reported correctly (when not in the timeline)... QuickTime says the duration of the video is 1 hour, 0 minutes, and 18 seconds, while FCPX reports the clip as 1 hour, 0 minutes, 17 seconds, and 1 frame. When imported into the NTSC film frame rate timeline in full, it reports the duration as 1 hour, 2 minutes, 47 seconds, and 18 seconds.

I even created a new library and just imported the problematic video (to make sure it's not a library corruption issue), and it still reports 25 frames per second. I'm at my wit's end, and I don't know what to do to fix it. Can anyone please help me? Thanks!

~Rico

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QuickTime and MediaInfo report clip as 23.976 frames per second, FCPX reports 25 28 Sep 2020 11:42 #110275

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

wizoomer95 wrote: ...I have a video file I'd like to edit in Final Cut Pro X. It's a traditional 1080p MP4 file, H264-encoded with AAC audio. MediaInfo, QuickTime, and even VLC all report the frame rate as 23.976 (NTSC Film). I'm 99.999% sure that this is the proper frame rate for this particular video file....However, whenever I attempt to import this video into FCPX, it reports the frame rate as 25 frames per second.

Can you upload this file or a piece of it so we can examine it. If the content is proprietary, you can trim this using Quicktime Player which does not re-encode the file and should preserve all metadata. The trim command is CMD+T. After trimming the file, inspect the header with MediaInfo, then import to FCPX to verify it behaves the same. Then upload to DropBox or some other place we can examine it.

See this tutorial for more info on using Quicktime Player to do no-encode trimming of video files:

Last edit: by joema.

QuickTime and MediaInfo report clip as 23.976 frames per second, FCPX reports 25 28 Sep 2020 19:52 #110280

• wizoomer95
  • wizoomer95's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the response. I trimmed the video as you suggested. Importing the trimmed clip into FCPX still reports the incorrect frame rate of 25fps. Here's the trimmed clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JycHI8i5rlLlAWUmM4nvEXK7r9m22ZFy/view?usp=sharing

QuickTime and MediaInfo report clip as 23.976 frames per second, FCPX reports 25 29 Sep 2020 12:11 #110288

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

wizoomer95 wrote: Thanks for the response. I trimmed the video as you suggested. Importing the trimmed clip into FCPX still reports the incorrect frame rate of 25fps...

Thanks. I downloaded and inspected the clip. DaVinci Resolve 16.2.7 also reports the frame rate as 25 fps.

The command-line tool FFPROBE reports the following items in the video header of your test file:

r_frame_rate: "50/1"
time_base: "1/50"

This is probably throwing off Resolve and FCPX when identifying the clip characteristics. The clip appears to have originally been an interlaced file, maybe PAL which would be 50 fields per sec. It was somehow captured or translated incorrectly to a 23.976 fps progressive file. You can see the interlaced artifacts are now "baked in" and cannot be fixed.

You can possibly convert the file to 24 fps using VLC. To do this start VLC, do File>Convert/Stream, drag/drop the clip to VLC, then Choose Profile>Customize>Encapsulation: MP4/MOV, then under Video Codec pick H.264, Frame Rate = 24 fps, Resolution>Width: 1920, then Apply. Under Choose Destination pick a location, then click Save. It will re-encode the file at 24 fps. Then try to import to FCPX.

FFPPROBE: ffmpeg.org/ffprobe.html
VLC: www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

• Page: