• Page:

TOPIC: Vanishing files

Vanishing files 25 Sep 2020 19:21 #110222

• JCoultas
  • JCoultas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
In the last few days when I start up FCPX some of my projects are showing that they files are missing. I check original media folder and sure enough they are gone. I have not deleted anything one minute they are there the next day they are gone. Anyone else having files suddenly vanish. I am able to restore them through Time Machine but it's a pain.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vanishing files 26 Sep 2020 14:03 #110236

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
I'd do a Consolidate to the Library to verify everything is actually inside the Library, and not stored externally.

Vanishing files 26 Sep 2020 17:31 #110240

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

JCoultas wrote: In the last few days when I start up FCPX some of my projects are showing that they files are missing. I check original media folder and sure enough they are gone...

Except for copying files inside the library during import, FCPX does not open media files for writing. They are opened with read only access, so normally FCPX cannot by accident delete or damage a file.

You can verify FCPX is looking for the expected file and location by clicking on the red missing media icon, and doing Files>Relink Files. Do not relink them, just look at the relink dialog. It will state at the bottom what pathname and file it's looking for. If the pathname is too long to fit, hover your mouse over the filename in the box and a "tool tip" popup will show the complete file and pathname. This works whether the media file is inside a managed library or external, having been imported with "leave files in place".

If that shows the wrong file or location, then the question is why. One common cause is the disk drive was renamed or two disk drives having the same name were plugged into the same machine. In that case MacOS will internally assign a different volume ID for one drive, which may cause a missing media error in FCPX because it expects the original disk volume ID.

Another possibility is relink dialog shows the expected file and location, but in Finder the file is missing. In that case something moved or deleted it. One possibility is some kind of iCloud Drive or DropBox media management which automatically moves content to the cloud to save space. You can check the config of those.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: