• Page:

TOPIC: Custom Transition “Slices”

Custom Transition “Slices” 24 Sep 2020 17:54 #110207

• WCely
  • WCely's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I’m trying to create my own custom transition that “slices” the video and then each slice slides away revealing the next clip.

I would want the option to choose how my video is sliced (vertical, horizontal, and each diagonal).

My idea was to create this Transition from a Motion template and use multiple Transition A placeholder/Transition B placeholders masked and animated to reflect each choice and then create some sort of rig or published parameters to select which type of transition I wanted when I apply it in FCPX.

Of course, Motion does not allow multiple Transition A/B placeholders in one Transition Project. How would I create this transition without having to make a separate transition for each one?

I did try to create just one version of the transition, but it still proved impossible because I’m not able to create a duplicate (cloning doesn’t work either) of the Transition A/B placeholders.

Check out my attachment for a Motion project with the animation I am thinking about.

File Attachment:

File Name: TransitionSlices.zip
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Custom Transition “Slices” 25 Sep 2020 13:59 #110218

• WCely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a followup...

If I can't make a Transition, could I make a Generator with a Rig that allows me to turn on or off specific groups? The idea being, I could use the drop zone project I attached, save it as a generator, and use a Rig that allows me to turn on just the group that has the animation I want.

Custom Transition “Slices” 25 Sep 2020 14:24 #110219

• WCely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, so I did publish as a Generator. I had to publish all instances of the Drop Zones for it to work properly, and I published the Opacity sliders for all the groups to complete it. I find this a little clumsy, I wish there were a simpler way to do it, but it gives me the controls and look that I want. Granted, creating a transition by way of a Generator is going to make my timeline a bit messer because I have to have my B clip as a connected clip under the Generator, but hey, it works!

Custom Transition “Slices” 25 Sep 2020 14:37 #110220

• WCely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is an example of what I came up with. Bare in mind I left all the different types of animations visible, because I thought it kind of looked interesting with the drop shadow, but I can choose just one or multiple. That would be something I imagine would not be an option if it was an actual Transition.
Attachments:

Custom Transition “Slices” 25 Sep 2020 19:52 #110223

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
The solution is easy, and you're actually 90% there.

Create a Pop-Up menu Rig. You'll set each menu option to turn on and off each layer's Opacity as needed. Name each menu item in that rig. Done.

Custom Transition “Slices” 28 Sep 2020 12:43 #110276

• WCely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome! Thank you.

• Page: