TOPIC: Shortcut for entering text in Title

Shortcut for entering text in Title 21 Sep 2020 21:11 #110161

• Zabobon
  • Zabobon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I know I can quickly generate a new title at the edit point by pressing ⌃T

But I was wondering if there is a shortcut to select that title’s text so I can edit it and insert my new text. I know I can double-click the actual title in the viewer – but that can sometimes be cumbersome. I also know I can edit the text in the Info Window of the Title. But that still involves opening the inspector and clicking in that field with the mouse.

So, does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut to edit the text of the selected title? Or a workaround that makes the process of editing title text more fluid?

Thanks for any advice ☺︎

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shortcut for entering text in Title 22 Sep 2020 12:47 #110171

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 744
I use triple clicking the title bock in the timeline. It selects the timeline title, moves the playhead to center of the text, between any build in/build out animations, and it selects the text in the viewer, ready to be replaced.

Shortcut for entering text in Title 22 Sep 2020 12:48 #110172

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
Not to sound harsh, but honestly, if a simple double-click is too time-consuming, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Shortcut for entering text in Title 22 Sep 2020 13:03 #110173

• Zabobon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
>>I use triple clicking the title bock in the timeline.<<

Thank you - that is great. I have always found double-clicking the actual title in the timeline to be hit and miss - and I have to do many of these titles a day so, I have a lot of experience and frrustrion with that method.

Triple-Clicking in the actual Timeline seems a lot more reliable and is something I didn't know before.

The best would be a keyboard shortcut - but it seems that does not exist.

I have made a macro using Keyboard Maestro that moves the mouse to the point on screen where the title appears in the viewer and does the clicking so that I can just begin typing. But I was wondering if there was some hidden shortcut I hadn't discovered yet.

Thank you for your help.

Shortcut for entering text in Title 22 Sep 2020 18:44 #110180

• Zabobon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
>>I use triple clicking the title bock in the timeline<<

Thank you very much for that. I had got so used to clicking the text in the viewer I had forgotten (or hadn't realised) it could be double or triple clicked in the timeline. And I've been using Final Cut Pro X regularly since it was first released. It shows you can always learn something new and I wouldn't have learnt that if I hadn't posted here.

What I find frustrating is that in a lot of Apps when you create a new text object the text is automatically highlighted so that you can just type your actual text in. With Final Cut Pro X it is a two stage process - the new title is created (and the shortcut ⌃T does that) and then you have to activate the text by clicking on it. That is why I was wondering if there is a key press that I am missing.

>>Not to sound harsh, but honestly, if a simple double-click is too time-consuming, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.<<

Well, yes, that is a tiny bit harsh as I was asking a very innocent question and I wouldn't have asked it if I thought I might be told off. But this is the first time I have posted to this forum and perhaps it is not good to ask simple questions here. I will be more careful next time.

• Page: