fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How important is it to have a "Metal"-capable graphics card?

How important is it to have a "Metal"-capable graphics card? 17 Sep 2020 05:05 #110084

• Yorick Strangefield
  • Yorick Strangefield's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm currently shopping for a used Mac that can support FCPX with no problems, and I found one that has everything I want at a reasonable price. The only problem is that the graphics card on this machine (AMD Radeon m395) does not appear to be on the list of "Metal"-capable graphics cards, as recommended by Apple.

My question is this: if I were to run FCPX on a machine with this graphics card, will I have problems? What kind of problems would they be?

Thank you for your help.

P.S. This is my first time asking a question on this forum, so if I've done it wrong or anything, please kindly educate me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How important is it to have a "Metal"-capable graphics card? 18 Sep 2020 05:59 #110110

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 744
Is the graphics card the original factory installed card? It will work unless it’s a very old machine. The list is only for after market cards, not for factory cards.

How important is it to have a "Metal"-capable graphics card? 18 Sep 2020 11:06 #110113

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

Yorick Strangefield wrote: I'm currently shopping for a used Mac that can support FCPX with no problems, and I found one that has everything I want at a reasonable price...

At a minimum, I'd suggest you consider a 2017 i7 iMac 27 with an SSD drive and the Radeon Pro 580 GPU. They are available on eBay and various places. It has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C and USB-A, so storage expansion is straightforward as opposed to older Macs. Unlike an older generation Mac Pro, the i7 CPU has Quick Sync so it's fairly fast at handling H264 material. RAM can be user-upgraded. There are lots of those floating around with a 1TB HDD or Fusion Drive. Don't get those.

One problem is the latest 2020 iMac 27 is so improved that the 8-core base model is very good and (for a Mac) inexpensive. It is actually cheaper brand new than some 2019 factory refurbished machines with less capability.

The 2015 iMac 27 had a M395 or M395X GPU, and Thunderbolt 2 not Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. That is an OK machine but the 2017 model has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C and improved Quick Sync so is about 2x faster and decoding and encoding some H264 formats. Except for that they are somewhat similar.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: