fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Import clips in chronological order.

Import clips in chronological order. 25 Jul 2020 23:51 #108933

• jacob.brown
  • jacob.brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have hundreds of clips which I want to put into one timeline. When I try to import all the clips from my browser to my timeline all the clips are in reverse chronological order. I tried to first sort them by date created but this didn't fix when I imported. Anyone know how I can do this?

Also I have a lot of pictures I am importing into the same timeline. FCPX defaults to 4 second clips. I changed this to 2 second clips in preferences but the clips still import as 4 seconds. Why is this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Import clips in chronological order. 26 Jul 2020 03:35 #108937

• Larrie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I cannot answer the first part of the question. Four seconds is the default for imported photos and to my knowledge cannot be changed even if you change it in preferences. I think you can select multiple multiple photos in the timeline and then re time them to 2 seconds in the inspector panel.

Import clips in chronological order. 26 Jul 2020 12:26 #108942

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

jacob.brown wrote: I have hundreds of clips which I want to put into one timeline. When I try to import all the clips from my browser to my timeline all the clips are in reverse chronological order. I tried to first sort them by date created but this didn't fix when I imported. Anyone know how I can do this?...

On my system running 10.4.8, when I add clips from the browser to the timeline using the E key, they are placed on the timeline in the current sorted order in the browser. I have Group By set to none, and tried sorting by name and date in filmstrip mode. In list mode you can click on the column heading to re-sort them in the browser by date ascending or descending, alphabetic ascending or descending, etc. They will be placed on the timeline in that order.

That said I'd generally advise against dumping hundreds of clips on a timeline. With FCPX the preferred approach is curate, rate and keyword the clips in the browser, then use the query tools to find the clips you want, and only then add those to the timeline. You typically end up rejecting a bunch of media, then run the browser filter in "hide rejected".

Some people attempt to do that at the Finder level before importing the clips, reasoning "I don't want all that stuff junking up my library". That is the old way. I did that with Premiere, since scrubbing through media was so slow. The new way is accepting and leveraging the database, ultra-fast skimmer and query features of FCPX. No external tool is as fast as FCPX, not even Kyno. Importing with "leave files in place" takes no additional space. It is typically faster to import more broadly then curate and reject within FCPX.

If you want provisional sequences of clips in a certain order, use compound clips for that, not creating lots of timelines. Compound clips are skimmable in the browser, whereas projects (aka timelines) are not.

Re default duration of stills added to timeline, this only affects the selected range when you click on a single clip. Eg. if set to 2 sec, you click on a clip in the browser, and a yellow selection box will be 2 sec. Unfortunately that only works for single clips, not a range of clips. As Larrie said, you can add a bunch of clips to the timeline select them all, the do CTRL+D and enter 200 and it will make them all 2 sec, however there will be gaps you must then close.

You can set it to 2 sec in prefs, then rapidly go through the browser and click on each still, then click on the 1st clip, then shift-click on the last clip, and all clips with that 2 sec range will be selected. You can then do Q to add them as 2-sec connected stills.

This is a bit unwieldy but in theory using FCPX curation tools you will have already favorited or keyworded the stills you want and will be filtered ONLY on those. IOW if you import 500 provisional stills you won't use them all. At some point you must evaluate those and separate the keepers. The FCPX method is that curation is done using favorites, rejects and keywords -- ahead of time. You're then presented with a much smaller group of stills or clips to work with.

• Page: