TOPIC: Re-organising the Timeline

Re-organising the Timeline 21 Jul 2020 14:05 #108859

• laurie.denman
  • laurie.denman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone.

I hope I'm just being really stupid and missing something, as I think this should be an easy enough thing to do, but if I'm working with multiple storylines in the timeline (currently I have around 35 as I'm making videos for a choir I also run, so lots of faces singing at once), is there a keyboard shortcut or any way to move a specific storyline 'down a peg' so to speak without having to drag it? Dragging is so inaccurate, and it would be great if I could just move each storyline down or up on the timeline without risking changing the start time for the videos or adding clips to another storyline.

Thank you all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-organising the Timeline 22 Jul 2020 12:42 #108876

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Try dragging up with the Shift key. It prevents the storyline from moving horizontally.

Re-organising the Timeline 22 Jul 2020 15:49 #108880

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
Yes, should be a key command, but there is not.

Re-organising the Timeline 22 Jul 2020 16:31 #108881

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 332

laurie.denman wrote: ...I'm working with multiple storylines in the timeline (currently I have around 35 as I'm making videos for a choir I also run, so lots of faces singing at once)...

Tom's suggestion about shift+drag is good. That said, even for large stage performances you normally wouldn't use dozens of storylines in one project (aka timeline). If they are for a single performance you'd create a multicam clip with all the material from each camera synchronized. It seems unlikely you're working with 35 cameras, but that you have 35 ideas or stringouts from 2-10 cameras you're combining in the timeline.

When editing such performances you normally want those synchronized to music so when you cut from one to another it maintains continuity.

If it was not shot with a view to a multicam edit, then post production can be extremely frustrating and time consuming. E.g, say it was shot with a bunch of cameras at various frame rates, the time-of-day clock not set properly on each camera, and lots of sort stop/start shooting producing hundreds/thousands of brief clips. In such cases there is no simple answer. You can try the 3rd party product PluralEyes to try and sync them all by audio then import to FCPX the XML file for the multicam: www.redgiant.com/products/shooter-pluraleyes/

There is a presentation style of using lots of splitscreen, where it's not to *performed* music but you need a certain look or expression on a splitscreen in time with added music. Maybe that's what you're doing? FCP.co did an article on that type called "Building a 64 layer chessboard project in Final Cut Pro X": www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1472-b...t-in-final-cut-pro-x

• Page: