• Page:

TOPIC: Play to, and Play from, a marker

Play to, and Play from, a marker 10 Jul 2020 02:16 #108571

• Kit_L
  • Kit_L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
For some reason, i cannot find these keyboard shortcuts anywhere (google search). I know this is such a basic thing (and I used to know how to do it)—can some kind soul remind me, please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Play to, and Play from, a marker 10 Jul 2020 11:15 #108577

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 332

Kit_L wrote: For some reason, i cannot find these keyboard shortcuts anywhere (google search). ..

I don't think that command exists. However you can draw a range (R key) and use / to play that range. SHIFT+/ will play a range around the current skimmer or playhead location, then return to the original point. The span of that auto range is configurable in FCPX preferences>Playback>Pre-roll Duration and Post-Roll Duration.

Enabling loop mode (CMD+L) will cause any of those to repeat.

When drawing a range it's not necessary to change selection modes, e.g, you don't need to press R then when finished drawing press A. If you press and hold R it will stay in range mode only while the key is depressed.

Play to, and Play from, a marker 10 Jul 2020 11:29 #108578

• Kit_L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Those commands used to exist; in the FCP 7 days, definitely. Ken Stone's keyboard shortcuts had them, IIRC.

Play to, and Play from, a marker 10 Jul 2020 13:08 #108582

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
I actually find this much faster and easier than the convoluted legacy play to/from marker operations.

Play to, and Play from, a marker 10 Jul 2020 21:07 #108608

• Kit_L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I will try this (on the boat right now, so away from the editing machine). So, while in the normal playhead mode, hold down R and drag the area you want to play, then release R and hit space bar?

I use to use 'Play from marker' a lot for hearing whether an audio edit worked before cutting it, but I will give this a try and report back. Thanks!

Play to, and Play from, a marker 11 Jul 2020 10:59 #108622

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 332

Kit_L wrote: So, while in the normal playhead mode, hold down R and drag the area you want to play, then release R and hit space bar?...

As stated above: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...from-a-marker#108577

You can any of the below

(1) Draw a range by holding the R key, then press forward slash / to play that once
(2) Do above with loop mode enabled (CMD+L) to play range in a loop
(3) Do SHIFT+/ (SHIFT key and forward slash) to play a region before and after the current playhead OR skimmer location. After playing that it will return to the original skimmer/playhead location.
(4) Do above in loop mode (CMD+L) to play before/after playhead OR skimmer location in a loop
(5) Adjust how large a region to play before/after playhead OR skimmer location in FCPX preferences>Playback>Pre-roll Duration and Post-Roll Duration.

• Page: