TOPIC: MacBook Pro - Over Heating When Using FCP

MacBook Pro - Over Heating When Using FCP 25 Jun 2020 21:53 #108190

• blakeylewis
  • blakeylewis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

Does anyone else's MacBook Pro run at 60 degrees plus when using FCP?

Replaced my old 2017 with the latest 2019 model hoping they would have sorted this issue.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MacBook Pro - Over Heating When Using FCP 27 Jun 2020 04:13 #108232

• Larrie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What do you mean by overheating? Does the Mac shut down? Do you get an on screen warning that the machine is getting hot?

My older MacBook Pro gets warmer and the fans turn on when using FCP but not hot to the touch.

MacBook Pro - Over Heating When Using FCP 27 Jun 2020 07:30 #108246

• blakeylewis
  • blakeylewis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey

It doesn't shut down which is good but you can hear the fans working & the metal casing of the laptop becomes very hot.

MacBooks are great but I think that is the only let down that when editing on FCP, you can't even have your laptop on your lap as it becomes too hot.

Or is that just me ha

MacBook Pro - Over Heating When Using FCP 27 Jun 2020 11:02 #108254

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 332

blakeylewis wrote: ...you can hear the fans working & the metal casing of the laptop becomes very hot. MacBooks are great but I think that is the only let down that when editing on FCP, you can't even have your laptop on your lap as it becomes too hot...

I have 2015, 2016 and 2019 MacBook Pros, and had numerous Windows laptops. All laptops in that same category are like that. Your 2019 MBP 16 is not over-heating and is working normally. In general the 2019 16" is better than earlier ones, but all high performance laptops behave that way.

Apple is attempting to address this by changing to ARM CPUs, aka "Apple Silicon". The first ARM MacBook will be out this year. We can then examine the difference it makes regarding thermals, battery life and fan noise.

A significant improvement should be possible, since the A12Z CPU in the new iPad Pro has about the same GeekBench numbers as the Intel i7-7700K in the top-spec 2017 iMac 27. The iMac fans spin up frequently, whereas the iPad Pro doesn't even have a fan.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: