fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ?

Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ? 25 Jun 2020 20:55 #108189

• domh333
  • domh333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Making a documentary but when checking versions on tv, say from youtube , it all seems quite vibrant and slightly over saturated, Im using an imac pro and have calibrated the display,
Any advice would be appreciated .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ? 26 Jun 2020 06:05 #108197

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

domh333 wrote: Making a documentary but when checking versions on tv, say from youtube , it all seems quite vibrant and slightly over saturated, Im using an imac pro and have calibrated the display,
Any advice would be appreciated .

Four aspects that I'd like to address here:

1. Is an Adjustment Layer the best method to fix saturation golabally, for the whole project ? - Yes!

2. As you probably know, "illegal" saturation values exist, beyond the broadcast safe range that's represented in vectorscope by drawing an imaginary line between those R,MG,B,CY,G,Y boxes. Chances are - and I bet - that none of your colors even touches these borders. Saturation, whether it's muted or loud, is a look, a matter of taste and style.

3. You said you saw a very different image on various other devices. And that you felt unsure about the saturation. That shows that you don't have a good reference monitor. There is a theory saying that you should always use the *best* monitor as your reference. If it looks good there, it will look agaig everywhere else.

4. Your iMac Pro's display is very good for rec_709. It's own "native" profile is called "iMac" (or "iMac Pro" in the list). The utility app Colorsync knows that this profile is ninetysomething percent P3 and covers 100 % 709. So it's best to let this app do the conversion to your video colorspace for you. In other words: revert to the original color profile (= change nothing, ignore the whole topic) and see if the saturation is more accurate in FCP. I bet it is.

Last edit: by Axel.

Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ? 26 Jun 2020 11:59 #108203

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
Never manually calibrate your Mac monitor, Apple has done that already, as stated.

Use your Scopes! Never release anything you've not verified on Vector scope, Waveform scope, Parade scope.

Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ? 26 Jun 2020 12:34 #108205

• domh333
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, for your reply.
I feel im getting better results with slight adjustments to the adjustment layer, however it does look duller on my iMac in FCPX than it does on my hd TV even with my TV profile quite nutreal.
All learning and tweaking .

Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ? 26 Jun 2020 15:09 #108210

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

domh333 wrote: Thank you, for your reply.
I feel im getting better results with slight adjustments to the adjustment layer, however it does look duller on my iMac in FCPX than it does on my hd TV even with my TV profile quite nutreal.
All learning and tweaking .

You will figure it out. I think that my LG OLED with the Technicolor setting has the best picture I have ever seen, anywhere, so I take this as my reference. Like you, I experience an image that looks slightly oversaturated (if I was going for a vivid, punchy style) compared to what it looked like on the iMac's display. Also I found that I sometimes crush my shadows a little too much. I watch the waveform for the shadows very closely and I create an Adjustment Layer in the end and lower the saturation juuuust a bit, and that does the trick for me.

Adjustment Layer over whole documentary to desaturate slightly ? 26 Jun 2020 18:38 #108214

• domh333
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Axel,
All great advice

• Page: