• Page:

TOPIC: Moving Compound Clips along primary storline

Moving Compound Clips along primary storline 21 Jun 2020 21:51 #108077

• domh333
  • domh333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, im making a documentary and have many sections (compound clips)on primary storyline.
If i want to edit one by double clicking and make changes, then go back to primary storyline.
The next clip has not adjusted to the magnetic timeline, and is out . It thne becomes quite fiddly to select all proceeding clips to move in or out accordingly.
Im struggling to quickly edit compound clips then check storyline.
Anybody have any ideas.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moving Compound Clips along primary storline 22 Jun 2020 05:37 #108080

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
As far as I know there is no way to 'auto' update compound clip length after editing the content.

I actually try to avoid compounds as much as possible. May I ask why you are using compounds? Not a critic but maybe you don't need to?

Moving Compound Clips along primary storline 22 Jun 2020 07:20 #108081

• domh333
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Cofe,
Its more about the affect it has on the following compound clip, I just wish it would push them all along slightly if i edit say the first one on the storylines length
The reason Ive been using compound clips is because ive been putting the documentary together as sections and sometimes its not linea, so i want to be able to move secation from time to time.

Moving Compound Clips along primary storline 23 Jun 2020 12:54 #108126

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
I totally understand the problem but unfortunately there is no solution while using compounds. Compound clips will not update to a new length after you edited the compound content.

To avoid compounds but be able to relatively easily move sections around I use markers. Put a marker on the first frame of a clip starting the section. This makes it relatively easy to mark all clips between 2 markers even when in a pretty wide timeline view. Best then to cut (command-x) and paste (command-v) all clips (make sure you highlight all connected clips as well) of a section to a new location. Because the marker is on the first clip of a section it'll copy with the clips you cut and paste. Cut and paste is much easier and actually faster then to grab and drag multiple clips to a new position,
And if you use markers you can see all your sections in order very easily using the timeline inspector. Even better you can use chapter type markers which separates them from other markers so you can have one view in the 'tags' section which will only list your sections.

Not using compounds for anything but a very fixed title sequence or other pre-composed elements will benefit you in the long run too. Because compounds can exist across multiple projects (timelines) you have to be careful when creating new versions. You could run into the problem that you change a compound say in version 3 that is still used in both version 1 and 2, and basically loose your version 1 and 2 in the process (you always have to create snapshots in this case, but the snapshot still has the same name for the compound(s) even though they are now new independent versions only existing in that snapshot, all this can be very confusing).

If you already advanced your edit quite a bit you can still switch to a non-compound edit style by breaking apart each compound (shift-command-g).

But the beauty is that you can work the way you want. Once you know your options you can weigh up yourself what works best for you.

Last edit: by cofe.

Moving Compound Clips along primary storline 23 Jun 2020 13:28 #108128

• domh333
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much great reply and yes ive broken the compound clips apart and things are working much better. The marker at each section is a great idea will definatly be using that
Thank You

Moving Compound Clips along primary storline 24 Jun 2020 00:26 #108141

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 495
I avoid compounds as much as possible, too. I place 3-second gap clips in between sections of a large project and name them as to what section they are at the head of. Along with smart use of the Timeline Index, I can jump to any section at any time. Markers do the same job. Personal preference.

• Page: