• Page:

TOPIC: Thinking small: Quality-of-life feature requests

Thinking small: Quality-of-life feature requests 05 Jun 2020 20:55 #107699

• MZTVPD
  • MZTVPD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been digging deep on FCPX for about 1.5 years now and continue to be amazed at how many different ways the app can help a production become more efficient. Of course, there is always room for improvement.

I'm not going to bring up the much requested bigger features here (collaboration, proxy options, etc.) As such, I'd like to highlight a few smaller feature suggestions which I think will have a significant impact on my workflow (and hopefully yours too). I'm hoping to get the community's feedback for improvements or what I may not be taking into consideration. So here goes.
  • Ability to Break Apart Clip Items... with Multicam clips. FCPX Multicam clips are so robust that I've regularly built complex compound Angles, or simply applied Effects directly to Angles. Being able to expand the Mutlicam clip to the currently selected Angle, would allow editors to get access at any Effects or compound clip in the Angle. Any additional audio angles would become connected clips.
  • Option to toggle between basic Linear and Smooth interpolation for all keyframed properties (currently a mix)
  • An Effects category in the Timeline Index. A fourth category between Clips and Tags that indexes both Video and Audio Effects in the timeline, for easy management.
  • Option to zoom in/out to Skimmer in the timeline, not just the Playhead.
  • Option to Inherit All Keywords when creating a Compound clip from a selection in the Browser.
  • Option to Replace and Copy Attributes, which in addition to performing a standard Replace, will apply the target clip's Attributes and Effects to the new clip.

I have one more feature request that probably requires a more expanded explanation. We all know the power of Keywords in FCPX and just how powerful they can become when you tap into them with Smart Collections. What I'm proposing is a dynamic method to quickly perform an AND boolean operator when selecting Keywords in the Browser sidebar. Currently if you select two or more Keyword collections with the Command or Shift key, FCPX is essentially behaving as if an OR operator is used. Multiple Keyword selections show ALL footage that has Keyword 1 OR Keyword 2 OR Keyword 3, etc. applied. That is fundamentally different from telling FCPX to only show all footage with Keyword 1 AND Keyword 2.

A simple example with 2 interviews and 3 questions. The same 3 questions were asked in both interviews. Currently, the only way for me show footage for Question 1 from Interview 1 is to perform a custom filtered search in the Browser using the Include All Keyword filter, or build a Smart Collection for this particular scenario. However, it would be much more efficient if I could just click on the Question 1 Keyword and then perform a modified click (Option key perhaps, different highlight colour) on Interview 1 to result in a Interview 1 AND Question 1 filter.

This is obviously a very simple example, but with much more complicated Libraries with extensive Keywords, I feel this would save tons of time. I currently use 6 Smart Collections for a 6 segment current affairs show. Each collection pulls the corresponding segment footage (multicam) but also requires a Teaser keyword, of which there are often 20-30 in a show. This allows an editor to very quickly pick appropriate teaser clips for the segments that are coming up.

Got a little long winded towards the end, but I'm eager to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thinking small: Quality-of-life feature requests 06 Jun 2020 15:28 #107717

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
"Any additional audio angles would become connected clips."
That is already possible with Expand Audio Components, and with Roles using the Timeline Index.

Thinking small: Quality-of-life feature requests 06 Jun 2020 16:48 #107721

• MZTVPD
  • MZTVPD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

FCPX.guru wrote: "Any additional audio angles would become connected clips."
That is already possible with Expand Audio Components, and with Roles using the Timeline Index.

Right, but I'm only describing a solution for dealing with an audio angle that is different from the video angle, or when you have multiple audio angles/sources and how they are dealt with when a Multicam would (theoretically) be broken apart.

Thinking small: Quality-of-life feature requests 08 Jun 2020 00:48 #107738

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70

MZTVPD wrote:

• Option to toggle between basic Linear and Smooth interpolation for all keyframed properties (currently a mix)

• I agree with most of what you said, I just love QOL improvements. This one in particular is a big sticking point with me, since it goes beyond just QOL. Certain kinds of keyframing aren't even possible and you'd have to use a plugin or go to motion for them (or they're possible but they look janky without being able to control the acceleration). I would elaborate further and say keyframes should be able to have bezier curves. Motion has this, and it's terrible that we've gone this long with such bad keyframing capabilities.

• Page: