• Page:

TOPIC: FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 02:31 #107652

• Droogles
  • Droogles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a project that I am trying to export the XML for. When I select the option and hit save, FCPX instantly crashes producing the attached error report. How do I fix this? I tried copying the timeline contents into a new library / project but I still get the same results.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Droogles.

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 12:48 #107660

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

Droogles wrote: I have a project that I am trying to export the XML for. When I select the option and hit save, FCPX instantly crashes producing the attached error report. How do I fix this? I tried copying the timeline contents into a new library / project but I still get the same results.

It should not crash. Are you writing the XML to a local disk file or a URL on a NAS? You are running FCPX 10.4.8 on Catalina 10.5.5 which is generally good, however Catalina may have more strict security which might impact a few operations.

As a test, create a folder on a locally-attached hard drive which is formatted HFS+ or APFS to place the XML using Finder. Then do CMD+I, then at the bottom under Sharing & Permissions, unlock it, then change group "Evereyone" to "Read & Write", then press the gear icon and pick "Apply to enclosed items". Then when exporting the XML point the file/save dialog to that folder which you just created and set permissions on.

If that still crashes, create a duplicate snapshot of your project, and strip all effects with Edit>Remove Effects. Then try to export that XML. If that works, repeat this but remove effects for 1/2 the timeline, then 1/4, etc to narrow down what effects might be causing the problem.

Any 3rd party effect written with Apple's FxPlug 3 framework can potentially crash FCPX if the plugin code is poorly behaved. This will be hopefully corrected in the future with FxPlug 4 which can enable out-of-process plugins, thereby preventing a plugin bug from crashing FCPX: developer.apple.com/documentation/profes..._minor&language=objc

Last edit: by joema.

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 13:35 #107661

• Droogles
  • Droogles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Last night I worked on this issue more and found what's causing the issue. I really can't explain why this is happening though, so maybe you might have some insight.

I use a plugin from Pixel Film Studios called FCPX Timer. I'm pulling in a basic timer called "Numeric Timer" from Titles and Generators. The Export XML works fine with the timer as long as I don't change the font for the timer (for example Avenir Next to Georgia). As soon as I change the font, the Export XML no longer works and produces the attached error when I hit save.

I ended up deleting the timer, re-adding it and re-configuring it, leaving the font unchanged so that I could save this template I created. I will just have to remember to change the font back when I import.

It's really disappointing to have to do this when I have paid all of this money. Oh well.

Just a bit on advice on troubleshooting this. I simply starting removing stuff from the timeline one at a time until I found the issue. Then I walked back through each change I made to the component until I found precisely what the issue was with the component itself.

Last edit: by Droogles.

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 13:52 #107662

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 744
Pretty much anything from Pixel is liable to crash the application.

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 15:29 #107663

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

Droogles wrote: ...I use a plugin from Pixel Film Studios called FCPX Timer...

I suspected that might be an issue when I saw the PFS plugins in your crash log but I didn't want to blame them, so I stated a generalized warning about any plugin.

This is an old issue in computer science, which is the tradeoff in performance and ease of development vs safety for in-process vs out-of-process extensions. Performance is better and they are easier to develop if run in process -- in this case within the FCPX memory address space. However any code in any thread can potentially crash the host process, so it must be thoroughly tested and well behaved. It can be difficult for small independent developers to do this over a wide range of OS, hardware and user input.

Running plugins or extensions in a separate sandboxed process is safer but is more difficult to implement and can have performance costs.

In the meantime the best solution is use plugins sparingly and only from well-regarded developers offering excellent support. Some good companies are MotionVFX and CoreMelt.

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 15:48 #107666

• Buhardilla
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Droogles wrote: .....

It's really disappointing to have to do this when I have paid all of this money. Oh well.

Just a bit on advice on troubleshooting this. I simply starting removing stuff from the timeline one at a time until I found the issue. Then I walked back through each change I made to the issue component until I found precisely what the issue was with the component itself.

Yes I also agree "it's disappointing". I had to uninstall PFS stuff from my computer and my FCPX workflow was improved

FCPX Crashes When Using Export XML 04 Jun 2020 23:19 #107672

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 518
"I use a plugin from Pixel Film Studios...."

Friends don't let friends...

• Page: