fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cross dissolve between clips on different layers/tracks

Cross dissolve between clips on different layers/tracks 27 May 2020 03:32 #107485

• hiphopsuperman
  • hiphopsuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm new to FCPX 10.4.4 from PPro CS6. How am I supposed to add a cross dissolve between 2 clips if they are on different layers? As you can see on the attached screenshot, clip 2 (SECTORS-ALL) is on a higher level, because there is another clip below it.

In PPro, I would move clip 1 (SECTORS MAP) up a track and apply a cross dissolve between the 2 clips. This isn't possible with the magnetic timeline.

This seems so simple, but I can't find the answer anywhere! Any help?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cross dissolve between clips on different layers/tracks 27 May 2020 05:36 #107487

• jvo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
To make transitions between connected clips, you need to move them into a "secondary storyline." See this Apple help article: support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/ad...ines-ver8e3f1748/mac

It looks like "SECTORS-ALL" is already part of a secondary storyline, so just drag that SECTORS-MAP clip you want to dissolve from into the secondary storyline. You can tell what's a storyline by noticing the gray bar across the clip(s) in it.

Cheers.

Cross dissolve between clips on different layers/tracks 27 May 2020 11:43 #107493

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Once you get used to FCPX, you'd have placed all those clips into the same connected storyline naturally. I can see that Infrastructure clip and all the Sectors clips should all be in the same connected storyline to start with.

Drag the first clip into the connected storyline your second clip is in, adjust the position of that connected storyline, apply crossfade.

Attachments:

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Cross dissolve between clips on different layers/tracks 27 May 2020 14:57 #107496

• hiphopsuperman
  • hiphopsuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much for your reply and screenshots for clarity. :) I've managed to move the clip above as you described. I'm struggling to understand what a "Storyline" is, and generally how the magnetic timeline works.

• Page: