fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Saving mid way throught computer change any thoughts and steps?

Saving mid way throught computer change any thoughts and steps? 18 May 2020 15:25 #107288

• Cameron Jake
  • Cameron Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mid way through a project on MBP 16 - which oddly vibrates sometimes when plugged in.

Called Apple, - they want to send another one out!

It means I need to restore and do the whole thing again..

Midway through an edit though - and all my media is on a SSD external - which I would need to wipe before backing up this machine and restoring the new one.

I did think about backing up media and libraries to the SSD - then backing THAT up to another HDD - then delete the data from the SSD restore new machine - delete it again - and then transfer libraries back to it and hoping its all there!

One option is to make the project into segments and bounce out a master of each one - then its only one file that will not be editable to import into fcpx and put with the same music when the new machine arrives....

Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saving mid way throught computer change any thoughts and steps? 19 May 2020 04:07 #107308

• Larrie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
When you get the new machine and start it up there is an option for copying all the information, files, applications, etc to the new machine via Ethernet or WiFi. Basically the entire hard drive gets cloned to the new machine.

Saving mid way throught computer change any thoughts and steps? 19 May 2020 06:44 #107313

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 518
"Midway through an edit though - and all my media is on a SSD external - which I would need to wipe before backing up this machine and restoring the new one."

If your Libraries and medis are on an external drive, you don't need to do anything. Leave that drive alone, just plug it into the new Mac they send you. Why wipe it? No need for that at all.

Backup your system drive to another drive with TimeMachine. When you get the new Mac, restore from the TimeMachine backup.

Done.

Saving mid way throught computer change any thoughts and steps? 19 May 2020 08:23 #107315

• Cameron Jake
  • Cameron Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
..at least that is the theory right?

Well when moving from a 13 inch to a 16 inch I did just that - and there was a few - actually a lot of issues.

Firstly you can't back up to a drive / ssd that is not empty - I tried that on the last back up.

Secondly even though I saved a copy of my ssd on another drive when I opened the libraries in FCPX that I had saved and moved around they no longer worked, media could not be relinked and so on.

Ofcourse I could purchase or USE an additional drive for this time and in Time Machine I could select "back up machine and external drives" I think that is an option. Maybe that is the safest bet.

Alernatively APPLE can wait whilst I finish this as they send me a vibrating machine in the first place.

Saving mid way throught computer change any thoughts and steps? 19 May 2020 16:52 #107326

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Why not just use the consolidate feature? It collects all media files found from different locations, and stores them into either a single library or to a targeted folder that you want.

support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/co...ies-ver9c7660349/mac

• Page: