fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Permissions denied 03 May 2020 09:07 #106809

‌‌If anyone could help me with this I would be extremely grateful! And I hope that this hasn't been answered already, I did look but couldn't see the answer... I'm using FCP 10.4.6 (Mac OS 10.13.6) and I'm trying to open an old project, and I'm getting the message below. So I turn of the computer and reboot using the boot Fany 1095 mentioned in the message, try to open the library with the fcpx which I had originally created the project on(FCPX 10.3), and I still get the same message. Then I realise that my mac mini got repaired last year and the HD was replaced and apparently I can no longer open this library anywhere... Does anyone have any ideas? And once again sorry if the answer is somewhere below! 😟

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Permissions denied 04 May 2020 14:01 #106847

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 614
I'd need to see the error message. Your image did not post. Follow these guidelines when posting an image.
www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...-about-pics-in-posts

Permissions denied 06 May 2020 20:51 #106954

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Boot the Mac into Recovery Mode (hold Cmd-R while booting until you see the Apple icon) and run First Aid, found in Disk Utility. Run it on all drives.

Permissions denied 05 Mar 2021 11:07 #113099

Hi Ben, hi everyone! I am getting fed up... I have spent hours, days trying to fix the problem, with everything that has been suggested on the web. Now I have just come here to ask if anyone would have encountered the same problem having a message : "The document “..............” could not be opened. Permission denied. Libraries require read and write permission.
In the info window, I have made "read and write permissions" for all and applied them. I have ran disk utility on the system hard drive, as well as on the external hard drive (including subfolders) where my libraries are... I am desperate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you in advance!

Permissions denied 05 Mar 2021 12:15 #113103

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
First, verify permissions on the Library itself.
Next do a Get Info on your drives and set it to ignore permissions.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Permissions denied 05 Mar 2021 13:56 #113108

Hi Ben, Thank you for your reply... I have done all that, but still am unsuccessful... Please see screenshots below
Attachments:

Permissions denied 05 Mar 2021 14:04 #113109

Also, you might want to check that FCP has been given Full Disk Access in Privacy System Preferences.

Permissions denied 05 Mar 2021 14:10 #113111

Thank you Tom... Yes, I did that too... But still the problem remains...
Attachments:

Permissions denied 05 Mar 2021 15:17 #113112

I am not sure if any other third party app would fix the issue, any ideas?... Disk Warrior is 200 euros/dollars or so, pfff... and it is not garanted it will solve the problem...

Permissions denied 06 Mar 2021 15:18 #113144

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Disk Warrior has fallen off the face of the planet with APF.

I now remember having that issue with an FCP Library once a few years ago. There is a file inside the Library that assigns this status and you have to delete or modify that file. I can't remember what I had to do. Fixing disk permissions won't help at all, since this is a setting inside and unique to an FCP Library bundle.

I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find that information again.

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 10:02 #113161

Hey Paul
I just wondered if you had received a fix for your problem with the user permissions as Ive just seen your thread and I'm having EXACTLY the same issues

Cheers
Ian

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 11:02 #113162

Hi Ian, no I haven't got a fix yet unfortunately... I will let you know about it here as soon I will get one... (I am hoping Ben will find something...)

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 11:17 #113163

Hi Ben, thanks again for your reply. At least I feel supported by it and hope you will find the fix. I say "the", because I think there isn't apparently much options. So if you dig and find something I will be very grateful...
Just to let you know, this problem occurred after organising storage to gain disk space on a couple of external hard drive, duplicating, moving and deleting libraries.

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 11:45 #113165

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419

Paulgoody wrote: ...this problem occurred after organising storage to gain disk space on a couple of external hard drive, duplicating, moving and deleting libraries...

I haven't seen this before, so this is just a suggestion: The problematic library may contain an illegal filename character, the plus sign (+). In Finder, rename that library, remove that character, then try to open it in FCP.

If the library ever existed on an external drive formatted with a non-Mac file system, that might be how it happened. The best practice when working with FCP libraries and media is only create and place those on Mac HFS+ or APFS volumes, also avoid any illegal filename characters:

More info: www.mtu.edu/umc/services/websites/writing/characters-avoid/

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 12:30 #113167

Thank you for your input. I used to be able to open the Library with its name which includes the (+) sign. But just to verify, I have proceeded with your suggestion with renaming the library name and removing the plus sign, unfortunately this didn't work either. The real problem seems to come from that the computer sees that it is already in use: “SHOW REELS” is already in use by “paulmalterre” on “pauls-imac.local”.
Attachments:

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 13:32 #113169

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419
Unix-heritage filesystems do not generally have "mandatory" locking like Windows. That is why you normally don't see "file in use" errors. At the app layer the normal procedure is using "cooperative locking" where a hidden .lock file is used, called "advisory locking".

One possibility is there's a hidden .lock file on the volume or within the FCP library. Another possibility is there are other files within the library with "custom" permission, maybe due to prior Time Machine involvement. See the procedures and utility listed in this discussion: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...ssue-in-use-by-local

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 15:06 #113171

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 256
Just an observation here, unless I missed something in this thread. Your Seagate backup drive get info details show that the 4TB drive is completely full with no available space left on it. There may not be sufficient working disk space to retrieve the library that is located on this drive resulting in the odd permissions error.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Permissions denied 07 Mar 2021 15:33 #113174

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
OK, dgwvideo just nailed it! I missed that! Yes, the drive is full, so you will get this sort of wacko issue. And you'll start seeing them with more and more files on that drive unless you clear it off a bit. Step 1; get FCP Library Manager and start cleaning out render and proxie files! Then move some stuff (a ton of stuff) off of that drive!

Thank you dgwvideo for catching that! I'm 100% sure that's the problem! And it may have corrupted that Library in the end, but let's hope not.

I've always wondered why no OS ever warns you a drive is reaching capacity. It would not be difficult for an OS to do.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Permissions denied 08 Mar 2021 12:38 #113210

Hi "dgwvideo", hi Ben and hi everyone, I have just removed one (big) library, making more space available on the external HD where I couldn't open the libraries, and yes ! Having the disk full was definitely the problem! So thank you so much for your input. Special thanks to dgwvideo who nailed it!
It seems that some projects are not exactly the way they were when I was last working on them, but at least I can open them up now, with still a lot of work and media in them, phew...

Permissions denied 08 Mar 2021 19:19 #113212

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Get Final Cut Library Manager, and once a month, if not weekly, clean up renders files and such.
Plus, not your disk usage monthly and keep up with it.
System drives MUST have at least 15% of their capacity as free space, and secondary drives benefit from the same rule.

• Page: