fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition?

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 02 May 2020 19:56 #106800

• Wondering
  • Wondering's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
...At the edit point between 2 clips? Like a glow transition effect on top of a TV static transition effect on top of a blur effect for example? Don't see anyway to do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 00:55 #106801

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 496
No, transitions don't work like that. But you can go in to Motion and create your own to do all the various things you want it to do.

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 02:20 #106804

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
In FCPX, click the clips (before and after the desired transition) and hold option key and drag them above to create an additional instance of the clips. Repeat a second time - then you have 3 instances in the timeline. Apply desired transitions to the clips in each stack. For simplicity, select all (6) clips with transitions and create a compound clip by choosing Option-G. Now you have a single compound in the timeline with (3) different transitions all occurring at the same time. Might not be the most elegant solution, but one way to accomplish it.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 03:27 #106805

• Wondering
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks but sounds like instead of getting a combined fx look (like a blur plus a glow for example) the clips on top will completely obscure the clips and transition below.

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 11:15 #106811

• martinX
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Thanks but sounds like instead of getting a combined fx look (like a blur plus a glow for example) the clips on top will completely obscure the clips and transition below.

It seems to depend on the transition. I did the stacking thing (had to turn them all into storylines before I could put in a transition) and if I had a lens flare transition on top, it covered everything. If I had a whip transition (from Ripple Training) then the Arrows transition underneath showed through.

But, yes, blur + something glowing doesn't work.

Last edit: by martinX.

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 16:26 #106819

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
Accomplishing exactly what you want to do may be difficult or even impossible. Yes, the top clip will override clips beneath if the compositing is set to normal. Try selecting other composite modes for clips in the stack such as add, lighten, screen or overlay to see if you can get a useful image. You can also try to disable one or more clips in the stack above the timeline - if you made a compound clip, open it and disable it or change compositing for just the clip within it, and not the transition. You may find by experimenting you end up with something close to what you are looking for - but then again, maybe not.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 19:54 #106821

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Again, do it right, build it in Motion. Motion is easier to learn than most folks think.

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 03 May 2020 21:18 #106823

• Wondering
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for everyone's help! Taking your advice and building in Motion which is a new animal to me.
So quick Motion newbie question: I know I can make a transition duration whatever I want (usually 10 frames) in FCP, but is there a fast way to compress or expand the speed/time of a project within motion rather than dragging timelines and keyframes or whatever so I can save it as a new Motion transition? Project duration parameter changes just cuts it off at the given time or adds pad but the fx speed doesn't change proportionately...

Can you stack multiple fx transitions on to 1 transition? 04 May 2020 13:50 #106845

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
The speed in Motion means nothing. It will automatically adjust itself to the duration you make it in FCPX when you use it. 10 frames? That's a photography light bulb flash. You can do that in Motion if you want. Just change the duration of the project.

The timecode readout, if you click the clock symbol it toggles between your timeline playhead position and the duration of the project. You can change the project duration there.

• Page: