• Page:

TOPIC: FCPX Crashes on Export

FCPX Crashes on Export 19 Apr 2020 01:15 #106319

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • aloyisiusoxbow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello! I'm using FCPX 10.3.4 on El Capitan (10.11.6). Suddenly, every video I try to export crashes. If I try to export as a still image then it just does nothing.

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of and every suggestion I've found in online searches:

- Deleting prefs
- Uninstalling and reinstalling FCP
- Making a new library
- Moving my libraries to a different disk
- Exporting to a different disk
- Deleting render files
- Switching to a different OSX user
- Checking all disks (no errors, plenty of room)
- Disabling/deleting QuickTime components
- Deleting a couple new apps I've downloaded since the last time FCPX worked
- Running various repair/maintenance/cleanup tools with Onyx
- Using Digital Rebellion Pro Maintenance Tools (Crash Analyzer, all the cleanup tools, etc.)
- Using Time Machine to revert back to old versions of my FCP libraries
- Rebooting the computer, of course

Many of these I've tried multiple times. Crash Analyzer says it's a "Network Error", though I'm not sure why a network is even needed to export a file? But I've tried checking and clearing all my network prefs anyway.

What am I missing? What haven't I tried? Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It's not only on one project but ALL of them, which worked totally fine before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX Crashes on Export 19 Apr 2020 09:06 #106324

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
Most of that won't fix an FCPX problem. Here's the first few things you should do.
Verify your system drive has at leave 15% of its capacity or more left as free space.
Delete all the render files for that Library.

FCPX Crashes on Export 19 Apr 2020 11:10 #106329

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, I did both of those already.

FCPX Crashes on Export 19 Apr 2020 11:28 #106331

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

aloyisiusoxbow wrote: Hello! I'm using FCPX 10.3.4 on El Capitan (10.11.6). Suddenly, every video I try to export crashes... It's not only on one project but ALL of them, which worked totally fine before.

If you are using a NAS or any network storage try the procedure using only local directly-attached hard drives. Make sure all local hard drives are formatted HFS+ not ExFAT.

In FCPX preferences, disable background rendering, then deleting all render files via File>Delete Generated Library Files> Delete Render Files>All, then select all clips in timeline with CMD+A, then do a one-time render of those clips with CTRL+R. After that try the export to a local hard drive, with all media on local hard drives. If you don't have enough local disk space create a small test library on a local hard drive.

That procedure helps isolate a render problem vs an encode problem plus avoids needless space consumption from constant background rendering.

If it still crashes, run Disk Utility First Aid on all drives, including the system drive. To properly run this on the system drive your Mac must be in recovery mode: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 00:53 #106339

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Unfortunately none of that has seemed to help. All my drives are directly connected via USB, nothing networked. All drives have been checked, repaired, and have plenty of space.

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 09:50 #106352

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
I'd download the free app "FCS Remover" from Digital Rebellion, use it to remove FCPX (and Motion and Compressor) and reinstall at this point.

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 11:01 #106358

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I did that several times to no avail, as I mentioned.

I finally was able to solve the problem and it was something extremely out of left field! The entire issue was caused by the file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework, which had gotten updated sometimes in the last few weeks (I'm not sure by what). Restoring it to a previous version using Time Machine (and having to temporarily turn off System Integrity Protection to do so, by following these instructions ), immediately fixed the issue with FCP.

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 12:02 #106359

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

aloyisiusoxbow wrote: ... The entire issue was caused by the file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework, which had gotten updated sometimes in the last few weeks (I'm not sure by what). Restoring it to a previous version using Time Machine (and having to temporarily turn off System Integrity Protection to do so, by following these instructions ), immediately fixed the issue with FCP.

Thanks for posting the resolution. I've never seen that case before. In theory a bug in any code object loaded within the FCPX address space could crash it, but I wasn't aware it loaded that framework. There is another report of an iTunes update causing Safari to crash because of an updated MobileDevice.framework, so in theory that could also impact FCPX: macsecurity.net/view/231-safari-cannot-b...e-of-a-problem-error

It appears current versions of MacOS and FCPX do not use that - when I double-click on FCPX in Activity Monitory, then examine "Open Files and Ports", then copy/paste that to TextEdit and search for the framework I don't see it.

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 17:41 #106368

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting! I saw some posts about the Safari issue in my searches, which is part of how I figured out how to resolve it. It's strange though — the posts I found were from 1-2 years ago, and I never had any trouble with FCP (or anything else) before this week. I wonder why this particular update broke FCP for me, and why I haven't seemed to run across anyone else having this issue right now? Also, I wonder what it was that updated the file? My last iTunes update was in January but the problem update of the MobileDevice file was I believe 4/2. Being a few OSes behind, I don't have a lot of system or Apple-specific updates very often so I don't know what might have been updated in the last month that changed that file.

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 17:45 #106369

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 744
What computer is this? There are problems with graphics processing on some Macs following the 2020-02 security update.

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 17:57 #106370

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Mac mini (Late 2012, aka Macmini6,2).

FCPX Crashes on Export 20 Apr 2020 18:00 #106371

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 744
The crashing problem on graphics processing seems to happen to some machines with hardware acceleration using integrated graphics.

FCPX Crashes on Export 30 Apr 2020 01:13 #106691

• astrofly21
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
aloyisiusoxbow wrote: ... The entire issue was caused by the file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework, which had gotten updated sometimes in the last few weeks (I'm not sure by what). Restoring it to a previous version using Time Machine (and having to temporarily turn off System Integrity Protection to do so, by following these instructions ), immediately fixed the issue with FCP.

HI there all - just wanted to add that this fix helped me tremendously. I have similar Mac specs (computer and final cut version) to @aloyisiusoxbow. The Mobile Device Framework file for me was recently updated through an Itunes upgrade, which then caused the problem of Final Cut crashing whenever i tried to export. The only difference for me was that i did not have a backup to revert to via time machine, so i uninstalled Itunes, and reinstalled an older version (prior to the last update) for the time being. It help revert the mobile device framework to the older version and everything is working now!

FCPX Crashes on Export 30 Apr 2020 11:14 #106709

• aloyisiusoxbow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm so glad it helped you! Unfortunately for me (and possibly for you), I've since figured out that without the newer version of the MobileDevice.framework file, neither iTunes nor Photos will connect to my iPhone. When I open either one, it prompts me to download an update, which is the MobileDevice.framework file (or at least includes it) and breaks FCP once again. So it seems that in order to get FCP working ongoing and also be able to interface with my phone, I'm going to need to upgrade my OS at some point. I'm still glad I at least know what the problem was and can temporarily fix it if I need FCP, but it doesn't seem like it's going to work as a long-term solution.

FCPX Crashes on Export 26 Sep 2020 05:12 #110228

• OMMBoy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, Everyone!

I realize I'm several months late to the party, but I've been experiencing the same issue as @aloyisiusoxbow since around May or June 2020. I have tried all the online suggestions that aloyisius has tried and haven't been able to find a solution.

I'm not sure if Aloyisius' FCPX crashes only, or if his whole computer crashes, too, but when I try to export a project to YouTube, my iMac (late-2012) crashes within 30 seconds of starting the upload. Every. Dang. Time. I noticed this started after updating to Catalina, but I don't know if it's related.

In one of his posts, Aloyisius mentions the MobileDevice.framework file was the culprit for him. My Time Machine doesn't go back far enough to restore anything that my have corrupted that file. Will MacOS replace the file automatically if I were to delete it? What are my options?

Thanks!

Last edit: by OMMBoy. Reason: Removed reference to Apple Support.

FCPX Crashes on Export 26 Sep 2020 09:46 #110231

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

OMMBoy wrote: ... I've been experiencing the same issue as @aloyisiusoxbow since around May or June 2020...I'm not sure if Aloyisius' FCPX crashes only, or if his whole computer crashes, too, but when I try to export a project to YouTube, my iMac (late-2012) crashes within 30 seconds of starting the upload. Every. Dang. Time. I noticed this started after updating to Catalina, but I don't know if it's related...

His issue was a FCPX applications crash, not a MacOS hang or crash. He was using Digital Rebellion's Crash Analyzer (which only works on app crashes) to study it: www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/

If your entire machine hangs or crashes that is a system-layer issue and cannot be fixed at the application layer. It is caused by hardware, system config, or something like that. You can try basic things like verify all drives have at least 20% free space, run Disk Utility First Aid on all drives, etc. You can run Apple Hardware Diagnostics but that is a very simple test and a clean pass does not mean no hardware issues. However if it finds something thats significant: support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Examine what kernel extensions are in use. A bug in any kernel extension can freeze or crash the machine. That is why Big Sur will begin elimination of those. You can examine what kernel extensions you are using by typing this command from a terminal window:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

FCPX Crashes on Export 26 Sep 2020 18:10 #110241

• OMMBoy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, poop. That's discouraging. LOL! I've kind of suspected it might be a hardware issue based on the fact that I have no problems sharing a project to YouTube from my MacBook. Working with a 27" screen versus a 15" screen, however, is just much more convenient, and transferring a project to my MB every time is a hassle.

I tried your basic suggestions of ensuring I have enough drive space (I have 550 GB available) and running First Aid (everything came up good), but I was unable to run Apple Hardware Diagnostics as the iMac did not progress past the blank white screen after starting up and while holding down the D key.

I also examined what kernel extensions the iMac was using and got the following results:

Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
87 0 0xffffff7f81025000 0x184000 0x184000 at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (5474) 21D3E540-82E5-38B3-9030-999B3D754C89 <8 6 5 3 1>
152 0 0xffffff7f80ffa000 0x4000 0x4000 com.globaldelight.driver.BoomDevice (1.3) E57A31D6-C32F-3228-A8E7-617B2C67E568 <96 6 5 3 1>
153 0 0xffffff7f80fe2000 0x4000 0x4000 com.globaldelight.driver.Boom2Device (1.1) 7F7523A6-5BE4-3452-9713-BBC88EA4BED3 <96 6 5 3 1>
178 0 0xffffff7f840be000 0x17000 0x17000 com.wdc.kddfuse.filesystems.kddfuse (3.10.3) FF8ACC01-1532-3ABB-9E12-35F5C8EBE5E6 <8 6 5 3 1>

I can't make heads or tails of any of it, but I do recognize the first three apps only. What do you make of it?

Based on the above findings, I'm leaning more and more towards a system-layer issue and may need to schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Thanks, joema, for your help and suggestions :)

Last edit: by OMMBoy. Reason: Removed duplicate kernel results.

FCPX Crashes on Export 26 Sep 2020 20:38 #110244

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Google shows several people having Mac system hangs or kernel panics, maybe from com.wdc.kddfuse.filesystems.kddfuse.

If your iMac won't run Apple Diagnostics, that itself could indicate a problem.

The Genius Bar has access to overnight and multi-day "bench diagnostics" which are much better at finding hardware problems. I had an intermittent problem with my 2017 iMac 27 causing spontaneous reboots, and the Genius Bar diagnostics had to run over 24 hr straight before it flagged a problem. In that case the entire logic board was replaced.

FCPX Crashes on Export 27 Sep 2020 02:20 #110249

• OMMBoy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It looks like I'll be making a trip to the Genius Bar!

Thanks, again, for the help, joema!

FCPX Crashes on Export 27 Sep 2020 08:13 #110254

• kid752
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thats it i just updated my ituens so my new iphone could be compatable now my whole final cut wont let me export at all

• Page: