fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio?

2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio? 09 Apr 2020 19:40 #106040

• Goodwin
  • Goodwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm working on an interview for my employer, learning FCP as I go. I've come across something that seems to be an issue when using 2 lav mic's - the dreaded echo. I pulled 3 angles into a MCC clip and disabled the audio for the group angle. I don't want to cut back and forth with the audio because the voices are loud, close and talk over each other so this makes it an editing nightmare and also choppy no matter how much I try to adjust volume, use effects, overlap, fade etc.. I'm told that the best way to keep the audio smooth is to use each lav mic audio together. In my MCC, I can see that the audio is slightly off and I'm not sure how to manually nudge one track so they are better synched. I am pretty certain, doing this in a MCC in the timeline is the the right approach. Help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio? 10 Apr 2020 13:15 #106047

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 473
In the Angle Editor (where you adjust the contents of a Multicam Clip) you would adjust sync there. That's what it's for. The < and > keys will nudge a clip 1 frame in the corresponding direction.

Also, adjust volume levels of each angle there, also, before editing.

Remember that audio is additive, meaning the more audio source that play at one time, the louder they get. One clip peaking at -6db is fine. Two clips, each peaking at -6db, and playing at the same time will boost the volume up quite a bit. Thus those clips need to individually be toned down below what you ultimately want them at together.

Yes, use the two audio tracks for your lav mic together, through the entire edit. You should only need to adjust the volume level. If they are too loud, bring it down.

2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio? 10 Apr 2020 17:42 #106054

• Goodwin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, great advice on the volume. I finally know how to nudge in the angle editor (it was the comma and period key for me) so, you helped solve two mysteries for me, thanks! The echo remains because nudging a frame is too much. I'd say it's like a fraction of a frame. Sounds like room echo. Maybe I should just use both audio tracks and try to apply some kind of filter effect that will remove echo?

2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio? 11 Apr 2020 04:52 #106066

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
< is the comma key, > is the period key.

Echo remover won't work.

If you can't get them to match up perfectly, let me ask you this. Over time do they get more and more out of sync?

2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio? 13 Apr 2020 20:24 #106144

• Goodwin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, no, over the course of the MCC clip I'm working with, the echo is consistent. I'm going to include a screenshot of the MCC clip. I've made several attempts using markers and anything I can think of that will tell FCP how to synch the audio. All of them have the same result, a slight echo. If I had to move the audio to synch, I think it would be around 1/20th of a frame. Do you think what I'm seeing in the audio is the issue? Is there a way to synch this before I add it to a MCC?
Attachments:

2 Lav Microphone Echo - How to synch Audio? 14 Apr 2020 13:51 #106176

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I think part of your issue is cross-bleed (cross-talk). Both lavs picked up both subjects, which is really not what you want. You want two lavs with distinct voices so you can mix the levels of each to get a good blend.

I see towards the end of that screenshot, audio that does not match up at all, but in the middle of the screenshot, it seems to match up pretty well. That just looks odd.

Here's what you can do. First, use the trim tool (shortcut it "T") so that you can move more precisely, and zoom in close enough (which you are).

If sample rates of all clips are the same (48kHz), there shouldn't be much issue. Use the audio from each lav, mix them together. And yeah, use the Trim tool, go slow.

• Page: