• Page:

TOPIC: Slow Export of Master File

Slow Export of Master File 08 Apr 2020 22:29 #106013

• narcloft
  • narcloft's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. New here, though I've been using Final Cut since 6 or 7. I've recently purchased a new computer. It's a lovely 16" MacBook Pro with a 2.3gb 8 core I9 inside it. I have 16gb or RAM and a Radeon 550m with 4gb onboard video RAM. This thing should be an absolute powerhouse for video editing. Here's my problem:

I'm trying to cut footage of a long video in half. The original is a 1080p 60fps video, approximately 4.5 hours in length. The new file is 2.5 hours. I've already successfully exported the first half, which I began before bed and it took well into the afternoon to complete the next day. This file has been exporting for 20 hours and is still only at 76%. I'm exporting in h.264 better quality. When I check the activity monitor, it says FCP is using 7.5% of the CPU and a shocking 2.65gb of RAM. This thing is going to take, at this rate, 26 hours or more to export a 2.5 hour video file and it's not even making proper use of its resources.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Because this is no way to split of your Twitch VODs into YouTube videos!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Slow Export of Master File 10 Apr 2020 13:22 #106051

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 473
Well, exporting is not a RAM intensive operation, and if you're exporting H.264 or ProRes your system is probably using more GPU than CPU to do that. So don't sweat those numbers.

The first thing I'd do is select the Library, go to the File menu, Delete Generated Library Files, and delete ALL render files. Then go to Preferences and turn Background Rendering off, and never turn it back on ever again.

What is the codec of your original files that you're editing with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: