fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Organization - Projects and Timelines.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 01 Apr 2020 18:16 #105795

• ringslinger
  • ringslinger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

Back to working with FCPX more than I used to and was looking for some advice or guidance.

I'm doing a LOT of clip pulls for clients and sometimes it takes a few days to to get approvals. With FCPX system, is a project my timeline? In 7 I could have a project with multiple time lines saved so I could have one for each clip. In FCPX seems like I would have to have a project for each clip if I wanted to keep them organized until I was done. Is that correct or is there some other way to tackle this?

As an example,...

Say I had to pull 5 clips from a show, I don't want to delete the timeline until I get approval. Would that require me to have 5 different projects in the same event?

Anyways,, help to links to articles would be awesome. I did a search on the site but looking up "organizing" brought up a dizzying amount of posts.

Thanks in advance,

Ringslinger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 02 Apr 2020 13:09 #105811

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 468
OK, step one, forget EVERYTHING you knew about FCP7 or any other NLE. None of it relates to FCPX. This is a new word based on digital assets, not celluloid film.

• A Timeline is the pane at the bottom of the window you open containers in.
• A Clip can be opened into its own container in the Timeline pane (Select clip, go to Clip menu, Show Clip). But it is very rare you ever do that, so for now, don't ever do that.
• A Project is a container used to perform edits in, for assembling a finished piece of work.
• A Compound Clip is a container used to group several clips together so they can be used as one single clip.
• A Multicam is a container used to group several clips together that synchronize and allow you to cut between them.

So the word "project" means slightly different things in 7 and in X. Again, do not try to make direct comparisons between the two, it simply doesn't work.

You organize with Events, Collections, and Folders. Collections being either Keyword or Smart collections.

If you need to send individual clips to a client, just export that individual clip directly from the Browser.
If you need to send a group of clips to a client together, yes, drop them into a Project, export that Project.

I'd highly recommend doing the Ripple Training or macProVideo tutorials to learn the basics correctly right off the bat. You are in a new universe, and nothing is like anything you've known before. Training will save you time and headaches down the road.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 02 Apr 2020 13:42 #105815

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 296

ringslinger wrote: ... In 7 I could have a project with multiple time lines saved so I could have one for each clip... is there some other way to tackle this?....

As FCPX.guru implied in his excellent answer, it's vital to first understand the concept behind FCPX and why it's different. If you try to use it like other NLEs you will be frustrated and unproductive.

Learning FCPX is not a matter of cheatsheets and hotkeys. It is understanding the paradigm change from a track-based NLE, and working with the strengths of FCPX. Not focusing on these conceptual differences may doom any transitioning editor to frustration.

FCPX is the convergence of several concepts:

(1) Pervasive database-driven media organization. IOW you don't pancake clips on a timeline as if that's your only organizational tool. You spend time in the Event Browser rating and keywording material before you touch a timeline. See "Warp Speed Keywording":

(2) Curating material in the Event Browser is facilitated by an extremely high performance media skimmer. Compare the update rate and latency of the FCPX skimmer to Premiere's "Hover Scrub". The skimmer is full screen and much faster. Only DaVinci Resolve approaches the speed and lag-free fluidity of FCPX.

(3) Organization in FCPX is *range* based not clip based. You can have multiple keyworded ranges within a single clip. You can navigate between marked ranges in the Event Browser: support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/se...wser-veradbf2dce/mac

(4) Due to the high performance and database organization, it's not necessary to sift through material outside the NLE and import only the "keepers". With FCPX you can import everything using "leave files in place" and do the initial assessment and selects there.

(5) After curation use the database tools to query the material. Use keyword collections, smart collections, filter on favorites/rejects. See "One Smart Collection To Rule Them All":

(6) Magnetic timeline, which includes an object-oriented encapsulated approach. In general audio and video are not detached entities, which helps maintain sync. Instead of tracks, audio often has embedded "components" visible in the Inspector. Audio is assigned roles which helps further classify and organize it. Use the Timeline Index for this: larryjordan.com/articles/final-cut-pro-x...-the-timeline-index/

(7) Magnetic timeline, part 2: beyond the "magnetism" the goal is put most material on the primary storyline and supporting material on connected clips or a secondary storyline. For a music video the primary storyline might be audio.

Learn to think in these terms and use the product accordingly or there will be problems. Experience indicates a "hot key" approach for transitioning editors will not be successful.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 02 Apr 2020 22:36 #105824

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Not a 100% sure this is what you want to do but I read your question like this:
You have one clip of a whole show. You select 5 parts of that show and want to send it to the client to get approval that these are the parts they want. Before you get that ok you don't want to delete the 'timeline' where you made your selection of the 5 parts.
If this is correct then in FCPx I would do the following:
If I want to select 5 clips (parts) from a show, which is imported as one clip, I would simply range select each part one by one and apply a favourite rating to it. Then I can either batch export these favourites as individual clips by switching the browser display to favourites only, select all favourites and batch export. (alternatively, you can range select and apply a keyword if you have different criteria for different parts, e.g. to create a trailer themed love, another trailer themed action etc., I would create keyword ranges of different parts of the same show which indicate to which theme that part of the show would apply. Batch export is the same by selecting the keyword in the browser and then you get only the parts applying to that keyword, select and batch export)

If you want to export all those favourite parts as one clip put them in a project and export that. If after that you do not need the favourite clips as a combined clip anymore, delete the project because you still have the favourite ranges on your original show clip.

Hope that gives you an idea. If what you're after is different you might need to explain a bit more what your workflow is.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 04 May 2020 18:34 #106862

• ringslinger
  • ringslinger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. Thanks for the help from you all.

1st. - I understand that FCPX is a different system than FCP7 hence why I was asking for help.
2nd - I guess I was not clear. It's not like I have to just pull raw clips. The clips are edited, sometimes they have to have a graphic bug or a back plate and fades to black. It's a whole thing. So just doing favorites in the clip I don't think will work.
3rd. My solution so far to this is to just do snapshots of the timeline when I need to do a new clip.

That is to say. I select my clip. Drop in the timeline then do what I need to do. Graphics, fade outs, ect.) Save as snapshot, label it (show name, clip #) then move on to the next one. so far it's working for me, but I'll keep looking at some of the tutorials you mentioned and see if there's some better options there.

thank you.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 05 May 2020 11:16 #106900

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
If you are not using compound clips or multicam clips, simply duplicate the Project, you don't need to do a Snapshot. Snapshots are duplicates that separate compounds and multicams from their parents so you can change them in the snapshot and not have those changes carry over to the other duplicates of that Project. So simply duplicate the Project and you'll be good. I think for what you're doing, that's the best method. Simple, fast, easy.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 05 May 2020 12:18 #106907

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

ringslinger wrote: ...I understand that FCPX is a different system than FCP7 hence why I was asking for help.

Besides what FCPX.guru said, another approach is using compound clips which are then placed back in the Event Browser. You can skim those, whereas a project cannot be skimmed. You cannot define keyword ranges or ratings ranges on a project.

When you say "the clips are edited", you can also do Edit>Duplicate Clip then edit the clip itself by doing Clip>Open Clip. In that version you can use graphics, fades, etc. It remains a skimmable item in the Event Browser. You can define keyword ranges or ratings ranges on an edited clip in the Event Browser.

When working with FCPX, try to fight the tendency to use multiple timelines for organization. Sometimes that is necessary but the preferred approach is use the Event Browser. As shown above, this is not limited to just selecting raw clips.

You might also consider Ripple Training's FCPX 10.4 Media Management tutorial. It is very extensive and currently only $10: www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cu...-final-cut-pro-10-4/

Last edit: by joema.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 05 May 2020 13:10 #106909

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
He is doing more than selecting favorites, he’s adding more graphics, transitions, etc, which is done in a Project.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 05 May 2020 13:23 #106910

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
He said he's doing "a LOT of clip pulls for clients", and asked about using many, many projects as the organizational basis for that system. In this case the clips have additional elements such as graphic bug, fade, etc.

The issue is apparently how to build a searchable system when he searches for and pulls those elements. Does he put each one in a project?

My suggestion is use compound clips, or edited duplicates of the clip (which may contain graphic elements or multiple clips), keyword & rate those, and make them (1) Skimmable and (2) Searchable in the Event Browser. Otherwise he'll end up with a ton of projects and no good way to search those.

If not done, then the user's next question is typically "Why does FCPX not support multiple open projects?"

Maybe the OP can further clarify his workflow and intended goal.

Organization - Projects and Timelines. 06 May 2020 00:32 #106928

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
"That is to say. I select my clip. Drop in the timeline then do what I need to do. Graphics, fade outs, ect.) Save as snapshot, label it (show name, clip #) then move on to the next one."

• Page: