• Page:

TOPIC: Brightness variations within the same clip

Brightness variations within the same clip 27 Mar 2020 13:24 #105682

• ghoti
  • ghoti's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a fairly long (approx 30 min) contiguous video clip that has brightness variations throughout it. The clip was taken indoors with no exterior light. There were no lighting changes at all. The lighting was completely consistent in the room through the duration of the video. But evidently, the camera I was using was making small automatic adjustments that resulted this. Is there a way to fix this in FCPX? Everything I can find online describes how to create brightness continuity between video clips, but I'd like to make it a consistent brightness within the same clip. Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brightness variations within the same clip 28 Mar 2020 19:14 #105700

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 473
Always turn off auto-white-balance and auto-exposure and auto-focus on your camera. Especially indoors. The light looks the same all over to you because your brain processes your perception to be consistent. But a camera records the inconsistent "quality" of the light in different parts of the same room.

You'll need to keyframe the Color Correction effect throughout the clips, I'm afraid. There is no magic "fix it" button for this. Although with the state of AI now, and Machine Learning, I'm sure we'll have that soon.

Brightness variations within the same clip 29 Mar 2020 13:09 #105716

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 297
Your clip is in fast speed to better illustrate the issue. At regular speed it's possibly a large % of viewers will not even notice it.

As FCPX.guru said you'll have to keyframe exposure and/or color corrections. FCPX smoothly interpolates between two keyframes so you might not need that many.

You can use the scopes to verify the corrections. It need not be perfect, just try to keep the luma scope about the same. If the difference seems worse on the back wall, put a color mask on that and do a separate keyframed correction.

See Larry Jordan video about keyframed color corrections:

Current versions of FCPX have a comparison viewer so you can compare visually and via scopes a saved frame vs the current frame. However it's sometimes easier to just use a single viewer, park the playhead on one part of a clip, then move the timeline skimmer to 2nd point of the clip, and move the mouse pointer up and down - above the timeline then down into the timeline. This will cause the viewer and scopes to pop between those two locations, better enabling a comparison.

Current versions of FCPX have a comparison viewer so you can compare visually and via scopes a saved frame vs the current frame. However it's sometimes easier to just use a single viewer, park the playhead on one part of a clip, then move the timeline skimmer to 2nd point of the clip, and move the mouse pointer up and down - above the timeline then down into the timeline. This will cause the viewer and scopes to pop between those two locations, better enabling a comparison.

• Page: