• Page:

TOPIC: FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 23 Mar 2020 15:38 #105530

• toppom
  • toppom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
FCPX 10.3.4 crashes during File>Share>Master File. I have reinstalled FCPX, trashed preferences, trashed Libraries, created new Libraries with new clips, run Disk Utility, repaired permissions, restarted the computer, etc. Nothing is working and FCPX just keeps crashing on Share. Please advise! Many thanks!

Here is the crash report if it helps:

Process: Final Cut Pro [4596]
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCut
Version: 10.3.4 (303235)
Build Info: ProEditor-30323005007000000~1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Final Cut Pro [4596]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-03-23 11:05:06.311 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G65)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 3CF3EC37-947D-0AEC-3D73-0BF7154EEBDA

Time Awake Since Boot: 4400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
Unexpected exception
abort() called
Ë∂flùˇ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 25 Mar 2020 11:54 #105601

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
Verify system drive has a minimum of 15% free space.
What drive are your Libraries and media on?

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 25 Mar 2020 17:10 #105611

• toppom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Each hard drive has at least 40% free space. Thanks for advice!

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 25 Mar 2020 18:25 #105617

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285
In addition to what FCPX.guru said, make sure you have background rendering disabled. Then delete all render files, then select all clips in the timeline with CMD+A, then render them with CTRL+R.

This helps segregate the render phase vs the encode phase. If it renders OK, then export to ProRes. File>Share>Master File>Settings, Format: Video and Audio, Video Codec: Apple ProRes 422. This helps distinguish between an export problem vs a Long GOP encoding problem. The ProRes output will be very large but it's only for a test.

If that works then try exporting this way: File>Share>Master File>Settings, Format: Computer, Video Codec H.264 Faster encode, Resolution: 1920x1080.

If any of those fail, duplicate the timeline as a snapshot, open that and strip out all effects with Edit>Remove Effects. Then try to export it. If that works, it's an effect or plugin. If it fails, then delete 1/2 of the timeline, and try to export that. If that works try the other 1/2 of the timline, then 1/4, then 1/8, etc until you narrow down where the problem is.

If it exports OK with no effects, then use the similar "half splitting" method on an effect-laden timeline to narrow down what timeline range has the plugin causing the crash. IOW remove Fx from 1/2 of the timeline, then 1/4, then 1/8, etc until you find it, then examine the effect or plugin used on that range.

Last edit: by joema.

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 25 Mar 2020 19:35 #105619

• toppom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks! I have background rendering disabled. FCPX crashes right after I select: File>Share>Master File. I do not have the option to get to Settings.

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 26 Mar 2020 11:57 #105632

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285

toppom wrote: Thanks! I have background rendering disabled. FCPX crashes right after I select: File>Share>Master File. I do not have the option to get to Settings.

You are running FCPX 10.3.4 on High Sierra 10.13.6. That is fairly old but I don't remember seeing this problem on those versions.

Make sure you are not running the Chrome browser or any other browser based on Chrome. It can saturate the MacOS VideoToolBox framework, causing FCPX to crash.

You can do a rudimentary check for a hardware problem by running Apple Diagnostics: support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

As a standard troubleshooting procedure, make sure you are not using any hard drive which is not formatted HFS+ (Mac OS extended journaled), Do not use ExFAT, NTFS, or any NAS drive while troubleshooting this. Since the problem seems to be 100% consistent and does not require any particular data set, use a test library with only 1 clip, located on your main system drive.

To properly run Disk Utility First Aid on the system drive it must booted in recovery mode: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

You could verify you are on the latest version of Apple Pro Video Formats for High Sierra. I don't remember that version but you can get 2.0.7 here: support.apple.com/kb/DL1947?locale=en_US

It could also be a Quicktime extension, plugin or kernel extension. You can check for MacOS kernel extensions by typing this in terminal:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

Re Quicktime extensions, I don't have the specifics for those or how to selectively remove them. If you have access to another High Sierra machine with FCPX which is *not* crashing you could compare on each machine the contents of the folders /Library/Video and /System/Library/Video. Maybe on your problem machine some Quicktime extension was installed.

If this problem began after a certain date and if you have Time Machine backups you could restore those folders to a scratch directory and compare based on that.

If that's not possible you might have to do a totally clean install of MacOS.

FCPX 10.3.4 crashes when sharing Master file 27 Mar 2020 03:44 #105665

• toppom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again for all the help. I had recently updated the OS to 10.13.6. After trying every suggestion given me, I did a Time Machine Backup and restored my OS to 10.13.2. Restarted, opened up FCPX and no crashes when exporting! I tried to solve this for a week! I hope that this helps anyone else with my configuration. Thanks again!

• Page: