fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed

Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed 26 Feb 2020 11:40 #104952

• SparkyFilm
  • SparkyFilm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum and hope someone may be able to help. I keep getting this error message more and more now (error message in subject) and it's driving me crazy. The error is meant to signify a dropped fame somewhere, but there isn't one on the timeline. I edit with ProRes files shot on my ARRI and there are no dropped frames. I render out MP4 files for my clients and I get this message now when rendering out MP4 files (HD). It happens on my desktop and laptop on the latest version. Only work around is render out ProRes files and then render them out as MP4 files but this us messy and I shouldn't have to do this. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed 27 Feb 2020 12:52 #104979

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
1- In Preferences turn off Background Rendering.
2- Select the Library in the Browser, go to the File menu, go to Delete All Generated Library Files, delete ALL render files.
3- Relaunch FCPX.

If the issue persists, set timecode to show frames, not timecode. It'll help you pinpoint the frame in the timeline where things hang up when you render the timeline. It could be a corrupted file or corrupted frame in the timeline. A Shift-F and Replace edit normally fixes that. What FCPX version and what macOS version are you running?

Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed 27 Feb 2020 13:01 #104982

• SparkyFilm
  • SparkyFilm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks so much for getting in touch. I am running the latest version of Final Cut and Mac Catalina 10.15.1. I never had this issues on the last version of the software. It's so odd, there clearly isn't a dropped frame, as my only work around now is to render out a PRO res file and then render out an mp4 file from there. very annoying. And I have to try this render process a few times even to get this to work as it often fails to render. I am using high quality Pro Res HQ files, so it isn't an issue of dropped frames - otherwise the Pro Res render wouldn't render. Never had this issue before using the latest version. thanks.

Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed 28 Feb 2020 11:53 #105012

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
Did you try what I suggested?

Try using the Send To Compressor command, see if that works.

Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed 28 Feb 2020 14:37 #105015

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285

SparkyFilm wrote: using high quality Pro Res HQ files...my only work around now is to render out a PRO res file and then render out an mp4 file from there. very annoying. And I have to try this render process a few times even to get this to work as it often fails to render...

Apple's support page on this error says "the clip shown in the alert is unusable. The clip name and its timecode location in the project appear in the alert so you can locate it."

support.apple.com/en-us/HT210757

By "unusable" that doesn't mean the physical clip itself is damaged. FCPX never opens media for writing, only reading. It implies that somehow the logical clip within FCPX (which requires SQL metadata to interpret) might not be usable or reliable.

As FCPX.guru said, turn off background rendering in FCPX preferences, delete all render files using File>Delete Generated Library Files>All Render Files, relaunch FCPX, select all clips with CMD+A, render all with CTRL+R, then try to export to MP4. That deletes possibly damaged render files plus separates the render phase from the encode phase, enabling better scrutiny of where it is failing.

If it still fails use the above-listed info to find the clip and frame. Delete and re-import that clip, and replace the region(s) in the timeline where it is used. This can be done by noting the clip timecode and length with the skimmer in the timeline, marking the same start point and length of the newly-imported clip in the event browser and doing a replace edit (OPT+R). If you have effects on the clip before replacing it do CTRL+C to copy then after the replace edit paste them back with SHIFT+CMD+V (paste attributes).

Make sure you are not running the Chrome browser. It saturates the MacOS VideoToolBox framework, which can cause various FCPX reliability problems.

If your media or libraries are on a NAS there are some occasional issues with reliability of Catalina using either SMB or NFS.

If your media is on directly attached storage, make sure it is all HFS+ formatted, not ExFAT or anything else.

Video rendering error: 10008 (Final Cut Pro error 10008: renderVideoFrame failed 28 Feb 2020 19:41 #105020

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 189
Hey Sparky
First try zooming in almost to the frame level at the suspect frame area. You may find a black frame or two. This is a known bug and can be caused by a couple of things, but if you find a black/blank frame, just delete the frame(s) and then try to export or render.
FCPX maybe trying to link the bad frames to media that does not exist and will exit with error.
Hope this Helps, Greg

• Page: