fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 11 Feb 2020 21:57 #104544

• Devin Terpstra
  • Devin Terpstra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a clip with audio placed on top of the storyline. When I add a video transition, the audio gets a crossfade. I don't want this or at least want to affect the length of the crossfade. The manual says "If the audio is detached or expanded from the video, the crossfade is not added." When I expand audio or expand audio components it still adds the crossfade. When detached, it doesn't add the crossfades. I'd really rather not detach all my clips to avoid this. Am I missing something in the expanded method?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 08:59 #104554

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 697
Could you post a screenshot of the timeline area that’s affected?

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 14:54 #104561

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
It works as advertised for me. Yeah, screengrab would really help. "On top" of the video? Really?

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 15:29 #104565

• Devin Terpstra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Not sure if yesterday I could move the fade handle, but today I can. It's a little odd, the fade handle is at the beginning of the clip and when I grab it, it pops to the end of the fade. Though according to the manual I shouldn't have to if the audio is expanded.

Yes FCPX .guru "On Top". 18 years of FCP1-7 is gonna take a little getting over. This is my 3rd real project in X. I still have my "Project = Library, Seq = Project..." cheat sheet still on my desk. :)

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 15:31 #104566

• Devin Terpstra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
here are the screen shots.
Attachments:

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 16:41 #104568

• Tom Wolsky
Yes, I can reproduce that when the transition is at the beginning of the storyline. You don't see the cross fade when the transition is between clips.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 18:12 #104570

• Devin Terpstra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Tom, playing with clips together, clips lifted from the storyline and such I'm finding consistency, just not exactly what the manual says it should do. If I "Apply Fades" first, then the transition doesn't override what I've done at the beginning. Am I missing the reason that it treats a transition at the front of a storyline differently than between 2 clips?

I'm sure I'll find the efficiency in the timeline with time, just doing it 8 years after everyone else.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 20:08 #104571

• Doug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
I have personally found that if you expand the audio and then grab the audio and move it, either left or right, it will 'break' the audio fade so you can have it work as you like.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 20:46 #104572

• Tom Wolsky
I think you have to detach the audio to be able to move it independently of the video.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 20:48 #104573

• Doug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
You're absolutely right, I should have said 'drag' the in point on your audio either left or right, I didn't mean to suggest detaching the audio.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 21:30 #104575

• Devin Terpstra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Once Detached, can you re-attach? Can't seem to find a way, except make it compound.

expanded audio still gets cross fades with video transition added 12 Feb 2020 21:41 #104577

• Tom Wolsky
Compound it or replace from the browser are the only ways. There's no reattach function.

• Page: