fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4K footage shot in portrait mode for vertical display--how to rotate clips in browser??

4K footage shot in portrait mode for vertical display--how to rotate clips in browser?? 04 Feb 2020 18:37 #104384

• screendor
  • screendor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hey Folks

Just starting work on a 4K project that was shot vertically for vertical/portrait mode delivery on corporate theatre screens.

First question: can I/how do I flip the footage in the browser 90 degrees so it's got the proper vertical orientation?

I've done some searching but so far, nothing. The workaround I've come up with: pull all the clips into a timeline, rotate them, then make individual compound clips. Now, I can scroll/view the compound clips in the browser with proper vertical orientation.

It works but seems stupid. Any other options? Would seem like a basic setting, no?

Also: any general best practices for vertical/portrait editing and delivery?

Thanks as always!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4K footage shot in portrait mode for vertical display--how to rotate clips in browser?? 04 Feb 2020 23:38 #104393

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
All my vertical shots show up properly in the Browser. But, meh, things happen. You could select a clip, in the Clip menu choose Open Clip. Once you're inside its own timeline, rotate it 90 degrees.

4K footage shot in portrait mode for vertical display--how to rotate clips in browser?? 10 Feb 2020 11:21 #104507

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There is a way to do what you want, batch ! just a a few clicks

open iMovie , (yes !). make a project with you clips, Rotate them in iMovie

from iMovie "Export to a FcpX Library"

done...

Last edit: by Xavier Novembre.

4K footage shot in portrait mode for vertical display--how to rotate clips in browser?? 10 Feb 2020 12:09 #104508

• screendor
  • screendor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Interesting approach. Thanks! I wonder if it changes the native resolution of the clips? If you rotate them using the Quicktime player, it downscales them and converts them to H.264 file from native 4K.

I'll have to experiment.

4K footage shot in portrait mode for vertical display--how to rotate clips in browser?? 12 Feb 2020 09:15 #104555

• Xavier Novembre
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
well so interesting that it is the only way to do what you want my friend, try it B)

because it doesn't change nothing of the clip, (except orientation)
it's a virtual (non destructive ) process inside iMovie done in 3 seconds transfered into FcpX in 3 seconds also. (and with a batch !)

forget QuickTime it alters the clips. of course, (specially if you do it wrong ) and takes time

Last edit: by Xavier Novembre.
  • Page: