fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thumbnails and timeline overexposed when editing with prores raw

Thumbnails and timeline overexposed when editing with prores raw 28 Jan 2020 11:12 #104183

• Javrri
  • Javrri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone. I am new to the prores raw editing workflow in final cut and I am wondering if anybody can shed some light on a small problem that I have. When editing with prores raw everything is very overexposed, that is easily fixed with the color correction tools. But the thumbnails remains very overexposed, both in the browser and on the timeline. It is somewhat annoying and does someone know if this is fixable in some way?

Another weird thing with this whole process is that when I scrub the overexposed thumbnails in the browser, the viewer does not show the footage as overexposed. But after I move the footage to the timeline it becomes very overexposed. What is with the scrubbing in the browser that makes the footage not becoming overexposed?

There seems to be a lot of opinions on the internet on what the correct workflow is regarding prores raw and I have not figured out what that would be. There seems to be several ways to do it according to apples white paper on prores raw. You can find that document by searching for "prores raw white paper"

The image in the viewer in the provided screenshot is color corrected from the overexposed image that appear when you put the footage in the timeline, but you can see the annoyingly overexposed thumbs both the browser and in the timeline.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thumbnails and timeline overexposed when editing with prores raw 10 Feb 2020 01:19 #104500

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285
This article says you should modify the library to wide gamut HDR then select the clips in the Event Browser or timeline and under "raw to log conversion" in the Inspector Info tab, select Sony S-Log3/S-Gamut3. That was when the article was written in Dec 2019; they expected Nikon to later provide a Nikon-specific conversion. I don't know the status of that but I suggest trying what they mention in the article, since they were testing ProRes RAW on a Nikon Z6 just like yours.

www.cinema5d.com/nikon-z-6-and-atomos-ni...g-option-first-look/

Edit/Add: you can also download and test some short ProRes RAW clips from a Sony FS5 from this web site. It might be informative to compare the behavior to similar material from your Nikon Z6: filmplusgear.com/prores-raw-testfiles-for-download-nab-2018/

Last edit: by joema.

Thumbnails and timeline overexposed when editing with prores raw 10 Feb 2020 17:15 #104517

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
A raw2log-LUT is a crutch, bringing down *exposure* manually clip by clip is also a crutch. PRAW doesn't let you correct WB after the fact. When you try to use the "Color Temperature" slider beneath the Wheels, you rather tint the image more orange or more blue.

In short: what's missing is a simple tool to interpret PRAW in the target color space. For the time being, that means absent a RAW module in Inspector, use the Color Board's Exposure and Color tabs. At least the values there aren't so completely out of range.

• Page: