fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead...

Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead... 27 Jan 2020 02:52 #104139

• Redifer
  • Redifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 77
I can mark a range of a clip, press the exciting Q button and enjoy my clip being added to the primary timeline where my playhead is parked, starting with the first frame of my selected range. This is pretty awesome. Use it all the time. However there seems to be no way to do the opposite. Please, sit back, grab some chips and allow me to explain: Let's say I select a range like normal, but ths time I need the clip to END on a specific frame. It would be nice to be able to park the playhead, press or assign a hotkey to a function that lets me attach a clip to the primary stor timeline, but with the LAST frame of my selected range at the playhead and any range I had selected behind it, earlier in the timeline. Basically the opposite of pressing Q. Now you can press Q and UP similtaneously to connect a clip (backtimed) but this doesn't do what I want and the last frame isn't where I parked the playhead. I'm not even sure what that function would be used for at all. Looking at the commands available, my desires are not possible in FCP unless I missed something? As it is now, I have to attach with the Q button, then manually move the clip so the last frame ends where I want it like an uncivilized person and then adjust the start of the clip. Did I miss something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead... 27 Jan 2020 04:58 #104141

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
The command seemingly doesn’t exist. Unless someone else knows.

Without using keystrokes exclusively, it’s not too complicated: Mark the playhead position with “m”, drag the selection and let it snap before you let go. “Uncivilized”.

Being able to type with ten fingers without watching the keyboard, I regularly are frustrated when I’m forced to touch the mouse.

FCP can use keys for about 70% of actions. I do 50%. For more specific and less repetitive edits I don’t bother to learn a new shortcut.
I support feedback for a command “connect to playhead position backspaced”, although I don’t use it on a regular basis.

Last edit: by Axel.

Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead... 27 Jan 2020 08:27 #104143

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 716
Can you post a screenshot of where you want the clip to end be in the timeline in relation to playhead The description to me sounds like backtiming. Obviously Axel understands you, so I apologize, but I'm curious.

Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead... 27 Jan 2020 11:07 #104150

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 473
Yes, he's talking about back timing, which can be done using Shift-Q. I use this all the time working with b-roll that has to time up to the Primary Storyline exactly.

Attachments:

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead... 27 Jan 2020 14:12 #104155

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Thank you, FCPX.guru !
So easy, should have found out myself.

I was confused by Redifers "Up & Q", because with "up" I associate the up-arrow key, not shift.

Tom Wolsky is right. With shift Q the last frame of the browser clip covers the frame before the one the primary playhead is currently on. That's exactly what I thought Redifer was asking for. But apparently I was wrong. He really needs to elaborate on that.

Last edit: by Axel.

Connecting a clip, but to the left side of the playhead... 28 Jan 2020 07:13 #104174

• Redifer
  • Redifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 77
Shift + Q THANK YOU! I must have missed that in the commands. Thank you very much!

I too associate the arrow pointing UP with the actual arrow that points up on the keyboard.

Last edit: by Redifer.
  • Page: