TOPIC: Viewing Original Media in Finder

Viewing Original Media in Finder 22 Jan 2020 16:25 #104077

• hcproductions
  • hcproductions's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone,

I'm opening up a FCPX project on a mac that doesn't have FCPX on it. I've accessed the original media folders within the folder structure, and all of the media is there, however, when I try to watch it in quicktime or VLC it shows up blank. They are all .mov files that were ingested by FCPX, but can I not watch this footage without FCPX? I'd like to send the files over to someone else, do I need to open them and re export each individual one in FCPX in order to do so? Any help would be great, thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Viewing Original Media in Finder 22 Jan 2020 19:18 #104080

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Screenshot would help. Sure these aren't Link files you're opening? When they were ingested into FCPX, are you sure they finished importing totally before FCPX was shut down? FCPX doesn't use any proprietary format for video files, you should be able to just open them. Copy them (don't move them) to your Desktop, do they have a preview icon?

Viewing Original Media in Finder 22 Jan 2020 19:47 #104081

• Doug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
It kinda sounds like the machine doesn't have the proper codecs installed to be able to play back the video. If it's a machine that doesn't have any NLE on it, it may not have the Pro Video Formats installed.

Viewing Original Media in Finder 23 Jan 2020 07:09 #104089

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
AAAahhhhh! Right! No NLE, no Pro Format, no codecs... hhhhmmm....

Viewing Original Media in Finder 23 Jan 2020 12:52 #104095

• hcproductions
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like when FCPX ingests the footage, it turns it into an XALG codec when you access the clips in finder. Even after installing FCPX on the computer, VLC and Quicktime still couldn't read the files. They were originally from an FS5 , so maybe that had something to do with it. I ended up just selecting all of the files from the event and exporting them out. It's good to know that the "original media" isn't necessarily original, and you should always keep a backup of the raw media!

Viewing Original Media in Finder 23 Jan 2020 13:48 #104098

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
FCPX does not every transcode to anything but ProRes when Optimizing or making Proxies. It must have been shot in XALG originally by your camera.

Viewing Original Media in Finder 23 Jan 2020 14:19 #104100

• hcproductions
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
That's what I thought too!
The drone footage was viewable in quicktime and VLC, but the footage from the FS5 was converted to something else. Not sure if it's just a sony to FCPX thing or not. It doesn't look like FS5s record in any XALG, only XAVC which is what I had when I pulled it off the camera, which I could view from the card using VLC off the original media. FCPX definitely re-wrapped this into something else, something that I could no longer view on any other computer without opening FCPX and exporting them as a different file.

After the help from the forum, I found this article describing the issue, in case anyone stumbles across this post:
www.jonahlee.com/index.php?id=8194291193...files-that-have-been

• Page: