TOPIC: asymmetrical trimming in FCPX

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 15 Dec 2019 20:36 #103260

• Lydia.robertson
  • Lydia.robertson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey all,
I have a friend who will not touch FCPX with a 10 foot pole because of the lack of asymmetrical trimming when he looked at it years ago. I am really at a loss because it seems the magnetic timeline does away for much of the need of asymmetrical trimming. I have googled it can't find anything written about it in the last two years. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 04:35 #103265

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 412
You are correct, he's complaining about not having a hand crank on the front of his car. in all my years I've never met anyone who actually used it in real-world editing.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 05:21 #103267

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Your friend should be able to do a quick tutorial demonstrating the advantages of using the trimming tool of Avid Media Composer.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 05:45 #103268

• Lydia.robertson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks,
Know what it is. I used it in Avid years ago.
What I failed to correctly relay that my question is if FCPX can do anything like it. Sure, it isn’t useful on shorter timelines without the track density of a feature, but he is a feature film editor (as am I) and he is often working with many many tracks. To be able to roll trim a number of tracks simultaneously in opposite directions would be excellent . I had not found a way to do it years ago and stopped trying. I wanted to see if it is possible yet.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 05:48 #103269

• Lydia.robertson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here is what my friend said;
“ Asymetrical trimming, is adjusting each track to shift one direction or the other, but not in the same way (for instance, your picture and dialog tracks move forward with a trim, but the music tracks move backward by the same amount).  You set your tracks then do real time trimming, in preview mode.  FCPX didn’t even do real time preview trimming previously, since the code was written for a different way of track organization.   The reason you do it on long format is there are hundreds of thousands of edits, and it mitigates the issues of throwing one of your dozens of tracks out of sync, and eliminates additional track adjustments while, being able to adjust the trim on the fly (sometimes after dozens of attempts) without any additional keystrokes.”

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 06:09 #103270

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
There will always be certain features that one NLE will have that another NLE does not. Individual editors will use what works best for their needs. Some opt for Avid others opt for FCPX. There are several reasons why I prefer Premiere Pro instead of FCPX but my reasons might be irrelevant to other editors. Having said that does Apple have a feature request forum?

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 06:23 #103272

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
arc wrote:
Having said that does Apple have a feature request forum?

Feedback under Final Cut Pro in the top menu. The forum would be this, I guess. Don‘t know whether anybody of the developer team ever reads our stuff though.

I admit I didn‘t understand the explanation on asymmetrical trimming.

But here‘s a video:

AVID: smart (if somewhat clunky) solutions to work around inherent shortcomings.

And that‘s my general observation:
People seem to love having to manage tracks and complain that they can‘t in FCP.

Anybody here who envies the AVID cutter in the video above?

Just imagine simple replace edits or L-cuts always caused these headaches. Apart from the script-based "audition"-search (which, as I understand, is possible in FCPX with 3d-party plugins), that's what he is performing there ("and this, ladies and germs, is asymmetrical trimming!"). And if I ever needed to trim a long vertical row of connected audio at once, I could as well compound them. Never did, to be honest, but just tried it. You can exclude clips, and you can safely trim them (just not cut them, because you'd delete the connection points underneath). To keep things accessible, you could shift cmd g them afterwards. And you see that everything is nice and tidy. Additional shortcuts need to be applied? Give me a break, did you count how many steps it took him to do the simplest things in AVID?

Lydia.robertson wrote:
To be able to roll trim a number of tracks simultaneously in opposite directions would be excellent . I had not found a way to do it years ago and stopped trying. I wanted to see if it is possible yet.

I am lost here. First of all (my limited knowledge of the english language), with things moving simultaneously in opposite directions, wouldn't symmetrical trimming fit better?

Since there are no tracks, you can't gang them, obviously.

Then I don't understand the purpose. Please explain a scenario.

Last edit: by Axel.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 10:07 #103275

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The track slide out of the way using FCPX but they also overlap. It is the overlap that might also need trimming from one side but not the other. I cannot imagine all those audio track being overlapped in FCPX would sound good but I guess it would depend on what is being edited.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 10:52 #103276

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

arc wrote: The track slide out of the way using FCPX but they also overlap. It is the overlap that might also need trimming from one side but not the other. I cannot imagine all those audio track being overlapped in FCPX would sound good but I guess it would depend on what is being edited.

As you can see the overlapping clips overlapped before the move/trim, and they were connected to the storyline clip before, presumably and hopefully for a reason. If it turned out they sounded horribly afterwards, well, there were additional changes needed - at the least volume-related.

With tracks, after having them painstakingly locked or ganged (because the tracks are independent by definition and the audio clips have no link to the video) and trimmed, the exact same thing is true.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 10:53 #103277

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 412
Could also Compound those clips, move, trim, break apart.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 16 Dec 2019 11:11 #103280

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: Could also Compound those clips, move, trim, break apart.

The audio fades are lost on either top or tail, so one might want to trim them with a few frames overlap deliberately. Thereby in part solving the problem arc has with this. Yes, you need to clean up afterwards. I just wanted to point out that you had to do that with tracks as well.

Better yet: you care for audio perfection in a separate workflow step. Editing is not finishing.

asymmetrical trimming in FCPX 18 Dec 2019 20:13 #103339

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 188
Geez Axel,
Why didn't you post a PTSD warning on your video clip. :sick:
Starts out showing inserting a clip that then pushes audio out of sync… YIPES FCP classic out of sync hair pulling at last minute. Nightmares and cold sweat just watching. If for no other reason, magnetic timeline resolves this issue and just one of the ways FCPX is Sooooo Much better. Do not miss this glitch from classic at all.
What a humongous cluster bomb of editing waste Avid is. Rough count is around 30 clicks or more to create asymmetrical trimming. Yipes.
I would set up a quick audition version, expand audio on the clips to be changed, do a quick edit, maybe do a compound clip thou I don't think so for what was shown. Check connection points between additional audio roles so the appropriate links are made, this allows you to do all the clip moves as shown in the Gif. With Audition, I can save several versions.
Add in A/V skimming and keyboard shortcuts and FCPX is much faster.
Full disclosure, I have never edited with Avid, just FCP(4-X), old PP, Vegas, Resolve and a few others. So far, think I will stick to FCPX and would encourage the OP and friend to try FCPX, but think you must be willing to embrace FCPX magnetic timeline. Then again there is the "p" key and you can fully detach audio just so you can force it to go out of sync :P

Off to self medicate for PTSD by shuffling some clips in FCPX and listening to the InSync audio no matter what I do, or move the Timeline order. Whew!

Happy Editing, Greg
p.s. I once forgot to fully watch the final printed version of a DVD project that a last minute edit pushed lots of audio out of sync. Burned and packaged lots of copies and off they went. Rushing out last minute and failed to watch end to end. Lesson learned.

• Page: