fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX and Sidecar display

FCPX and Sidecar display 10 Oct 2019 19:23 #101979

• thinkfilm
  • thinkfilm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
I realize this is a new feature introduced with Catalina but can someone tell me how to send the video only (using Sidecar) to my iPad connected to my iMac Pro? I seem to be able to put the viewer pane on my iPad using Workspaces but then it disappears from my main iMac workspace. I'm interested in having the viewer/browser/timeline show on my iMac Pro and the video only on my iPad as seen in this image from the Sidecar white paper.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by thinkfilm.

FCPX and Sidecar display 10 Oct 2019 20:38 #101982

• degeneric
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
AV Output in the Window menu would be my guess.
Thats how I send video to my HDMI display.

Last edit: by degeneric.

FCPX and Sidecar display 10 Oct 2019 20:50 #101983

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I tried that but the iPad connected by Sidecar does not show up as a device in the A/V output selection.

FCPX and Sidecar display 28 Oct 2019 02:54 #102288

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
I've been working on this, and the photo can not be replicated. There is no way I can figure out to do what that says and shows. Even if you pull up the Event Viewer, both viewers show on the iPad. And I can not find that image on Apple's web site any longer. The way it works from what I've found is that you use SideCar to make your iPad a second display connected (via WiFi) to your Mac. It's not a broadcast monitor.

In the Windows menu, you decide what to show on the Secondary Display: timeline, viewers, browser.

Form Apple's press release:
Sidecar Support with Catalina
Final Cut Pro works with the innovative new Sidecar feature of macOS Catalina that enables users to extend their Mac workspace by using iPad as a second display to show the browser or viewer. Video editors can use Sidecar with a cable or they can connect wirelessly for even greater flexibility — whether they are working on the go with a Mac notebook or in the edit suite with a Mac desktop.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

FCPX and Sidecar display 28 Oct 2019 04:31 #102289

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Not sure if this video link will help or not.

FCPX and Sidecar display 28 Oct 2019 11:01 #102292

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you, FCPX.guru. As you describe, I have no problem using SIdecar as a second display - either using WIFI or connected by cable. It's a nice feature that used to be available (and still is) using Duet software. But what the Apple White Paper mentions (see attached) is something more than that:

"The Final Cut Pro video output feature allows the presenter to send just the video of their project to iPad, while editing in their preferred workspace on Mac."

NOTE: I've learned since my initial post that Apple has apparently removed this feature for now.
Attachments:

FCPX and Sidecar display 28 Oct 2019 11:12 #102293

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
It is only a second monitor, not a broadcast output. And yes, the image is misleading.

FCPX and Sidecar display 28 Sep 2020 18:49 #110279

• Alej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Have any of you tried using the iPad as a third or fourth monitor? I currently have an iMac and two TB displays... however FCPX refuses to allow multi monitor behaviour except on two of them (the main iMac and the one on my left). If I do 'Window -> Move to Thunderbolt Display (2)" (that would be the one on the right) any action (open file, import media, create new event folder, anything) will place that Brower/Titles/Sound window panel it back on the left side Monitor.
Currently I can't for some reason connect an iPad Pro as a SideCar extra screen (it just refuses), however, I think that the same issues will happen? there's no real freedom on where to put which one is the main screen workspace and which one is the secondary one.

• Page: