fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCP crashes constantly - freezes iMac - uninstalled - now can no longer install

FCP crashes constantly - freezes iMac - uninstalled - now can no longer install 27 Aug 2019 11:52 #101086

• JJ2000
  • JJ2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Not a single project goes by without a severe crash. I can't even issue a bug report to Apple because the Machine freezes and I just have to hit the power button to restart it. So I finally uninstalled FCP hoping a new install might fix it. Now, when going to the app store to download it again, the cloud button spins, but nothing happens for hours. This has been going on for over two hours. My belief is that Apple lost the plot. So the only thing now left to do is asking Apple for a full refund for this appalling program of theirs.

So I am now looking for an editing program (not Premier) to get my life back as an editor. Doe anybody have a suggestion for a non- Apple video editor, which is on par in terms of feature, but a dam lot more reliable ?

Any suggestion are welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCP crashes constantly - freezes iMac - uninstalled - now can no longer install 28 Aug 2019 06:20 #101113

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
I can understand your frustration. Just acknowledge that your trouble is the rare exception that proves the rule, and that is that FCPX is known for being extremely stable and reliable. Your problem has a reason, and you have to find out what it is. Like finding the device that blows the fuse: you disconnect all devices, then plug them in one at a time. First of all, make sure your iMac is okay. What are the specs? How are external volumes connected? Is there enough space left? Delete preferences. Run first aid from Disk Utility. Don't install Chrome browser. Make a clean MacOS install. Not necessarily in this order, but to that effect.

As for an alternative with roughly comparable performance (though very much different in workflow) check out the free Resolve 16.

But if you are patient and approach this with 'scientific' sobriety, you will get FCP to run the way it should.

FCP crashes constantly - freezes iMac - uninstalled - now can no longer install 28 Aug 2019 10:08 #101118

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 284

JJ2000 wrote: Not a single project goes by without a severe crash... the Machine freezes and I just have to hit the power button to restart it.... I am now looking for an editing program (not Premier) to get my life back as an editor. Doe anybody have a suggestion for a non- Apple video editor, which is on par in terms of feature, but a dam lot more reliable...

It is likely your problem has nothing to do with FCPX. If the entire machine hangs, that is a system-level problem. A user-mode app cannot normally cause a system hang. If this were possible a non-privileged malicious app could use that same technique and take over your machine. You will probably have similar problems on other editors of similar complexity when doing the same workflow.

You need to momentarily forget about video editors and investigate what's wrong with your system:

1. Back up your entire machine using Time Machine. Your Mac appears to be unstable and you may be at risk of losing all data on it.
2. Run Apple Diagnostics. Note: an error-free pass does not guarantee no hardware problems; this is a lightweight test. However any errors found are likely serious. The Apple Genius Bar has more extensive overnight bench diagnostics: support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731
3. Verify you have plenty of free disk space
4. Run Disk Utility First Aid on all volumes
5. Reset SMC controller: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
6. Reset NVRAM: support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
7. Verify you are running the latest version of macOS which is 10.14.6
8. Test each hard drive's performance with Blackmagic Speed Test. Verify the results are within expected ranges for your disk hardware: apps.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-sp...st/id425264550?mt=12

• Page: