• Page:

TOPIC: I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 18 Dec 2018 23:38 #98214

• Redifer
  • Redifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
One thing I really like about Quicktime 7 is that I can take little snippets from several different QT files and paste them into a single new one. Helps when I don't want to import the entire file into FCPX or whatever or if I just need to export a certain part of something for someone. The best thing about it is that I can save a new MOV file without any transcoding whatsoever. If Quicktime X (or Quicktime Player as I think they call it now) had these editing features I'd have no reason to miss ol' 7. But they were never interested in making the current player have those kinds of features. Too bad. Compressor has a video pass-through option which is cool but using Compressor is more complex and takes longer. Plus I'm not even sure how I'd make several different clips into 1 MOV file with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 19 Dec 2018 01:08 #98216

• Roadswitcher
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Same here, have been using QT7 Pro like hell since it got the Pro label many years ago.
There is NOTHING that matches the basic "cut & splicing" capacities of the Pro version.
Not even the tools inside the very versatile ff-Works ( ex iFFmpeg ).

Going to create an OSX virtual machine inside of the evolving OSX..
The only way to preserve 32bits apps like MXFrmac Player or Movieola.

Or keeping one or more Macs in a freezed state. Forevaaaah.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 19 Dec 2018 11:54 #98220

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 487
QuickTime X does that, I do it daily with it cutting up and splicing stuff together for broadcast. You may need to take a look at what QTX can actually do. I can trim. I can add other clips to the end of it, trim again, export in the blink of an eye, very nice. I won't miss QT7 at this point. QT7 couldn't flip/rotate, which has actually been helpful to me. Give it a good look, it's more capable than you think. I use the screen record function more now than I do ScreenFlow for quick work. I am finding it more capable. As for transcoding to other codecs, Compressor is great, responds quickly, is super easy and fast to use. Nothing bulky about it IMHO. I don't find Compressor takes long at all. I'm using all of this daily for high turn around, high pressure TV broadcast, and it's all fast for me.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201066

support.apple.com/en-us/HT202797

support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/welcome/mac

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 19 Dec 2018 12:34 #98221

• Roadswitcher
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Been there, done that.

Seen and tried all the functionalities as "prescribed" by Doctor Apple's Support page.

Trimming is horribly implemented, even though the GUI with the graphical filmstrip is rather appealing, especially when it switches to the "fine edit" mode.
No multiple trims in one session, a strange way to set points to a precise frame and on and on and on.
Pure Deception.

I don't use screen capturing, evaaaah, so I can't judge that part.

With 7Pro, I can just eliminate a track, audio or video, and paste in the "replacement" file.
I can go frame by frame with the arrows and set my points.
I can change image ratios and sizes in the Visual Settings, I can export the resulting file to whatever codec I want ( although every other 64 bit app is now way faster doing this ).
With QTX, I'm stuck with only a couple of export options.

When ( single or multiple ) trims are done, just saving the resulting video is taking mere seconds, only flattening it, with the only "annoyance" being the change to a .mov container, but i can rewrap the file ad lib whenever a client prefers to stick with a .mp4 wrapper. QTX OTOH re-encodes the whole edit again. Although keeping the original .mp4 wrapper.

QT7Pro has always been a very simplistic app, but very efficient behind the kitchen doors.
Just what's needed when some basic splicing is required, done in a minimal timeframe.

So, all in all, I'll stick to my judgement. QTX is just a deceiving little app that could have done much better, if only the politics inside Apple had allowed that.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 19 Dec 2018 13:18 #98222

• Albo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I use it quite a lot to open a sequence of pictures. very useful for animation.
Luckily I have Dragon Frame but I like the ease of use of QT7 Pro,
BTW, I am assuming after reading this post that I will not be able to use it anymore in the near future?

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 19 Dec 2018 20:13 #98229

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
"No multiple trims in one session"

I cut multiple part of one long clip into smaller clips in one session daily.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 19 Dec 2018 23:44 #98233

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
In Quicktime 7 you just press I for IN and O for Out. Can't do that in Quicktime X. Need to go into the trim menu. In QT7 you can copy (command C) and paste into a new player. Then copy/paste from several different video files into the new file and save as a new MOV without transcoding. And you're claiming QTX can do all of this?

It does not, and it is nowhere near as versatile as QT7. If it is, please write up a tutorial. Or better yet, a screencap of you doing it.

Screencapture with QTX is useless because it can't do 60fps. But that's not really what Im complaining about.

Last edit: by Redifer.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 20 Dec 2018 01:09 #98234

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Can't use i and o, but I don't find it necessary in my work, personally. If I'm being that detailed in what I do for a living, I'm probably needing to do more than just a quick trim, then I'm in FCPX. Same is probably not true for everyone.

Yes, I can append several clips together very quickly. Open one, Add Clip To End, repeat as necessary, trim along the way if necessary.

I can open one long file, interview for example, that I need to export several smaller sections. I trim to a section, export, undo. Trim, export, undo. Very quick, very easy.

60fps means nothing for screen capture, it's a computer screen. I do in fact capture screen movies several times a week, and find it does a very good job at it.

There are things QT7 Pro was nice at, and it's all but dead now. I can still do the on the fly quickie work in QTX, without paying for a Pro license (that was a scam if I ever saw one). And for the detailed work, if I'm going that, again, I'm probably doing more and inside of FCPX.

What we're discussing is subjective personal opinions. I'm liking QTX. Other may not. And that's fine. I don't think QTX is good or bad universally, though. Yet, if someone has a need to pigeonhole something like that, valid opinion.

FYI, I do have a tutorial that's been sitting around, and will be going up on my blog this weekend.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 20 Dec 2018 01:27 #98235

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't want to export into a bunch of little files. I want to combine different bits of different clips quickly and easily into ONE clip that I can then do with what I please, with no transcoding, no FCP, just QT. QTX is less versatile than QT7 any way you cut it.

60fps may not be important for you, but it definitely is for me. Don't assume that what YOU do encompasses everything that others want to do.

QT7 Pro was not a scam. It was Apple and Apple can do no wrong and they do not scam. You know that. They are perfect. Actually you get it free with Final Cut Studio so it wasn't an issue.

Last edit: by Redifer.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 20 Dec 2018 01:36 #98236

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
" I want to combine different bits of different clips quickly and easily into ONE clip that I can then do with what I please, with no transcoding"

That's going to be easier and faster in FCPX, yes. Which is pretty fast to do. But no, QTX doesn't do that sort of copy/paste at the moment. When I do that, I do it in FCPX. I have a "Sandbox" Library I used for misc quick stuff like that. It's not the old QT7 way, but that's how I personally do it. It's fine with me, maybe not others.

"Don't assume that what YOU do encompasses everything that others want to do."

I clearly acknowledge that in my post; " What we're discussing is subjective personal opinions. I'm liking QTX. Other may not. And that's fine."

Yes, QT7 will be missed for some functions.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 21 Dec 2018 16:16 #98254

• petersxs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I will miss TIMECODE !! , anyone know a good player with timecode display ?? looking for an alternative
its so essential , still don't get it that Quicktime X does not display TC :angry:

and of course easy audio track management in source files. well there goes another pro ....

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 21 Dec 2018 16:52 #98256

• Roadswitcher
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
As for "Pure Players", the best were Movieola's "take all - eat all" Player and the MXF4mac Player.

Sadly for Movieola, its creator has either left this planet or has died.
It had the most readable CTL/TC display ever created.

The MXF4mac Player doesn't "exist" anymore since Apple bought the entire Hamburg based company with all the IP around the treatment of MXF files, technology later integrated into the AVFoundation ( or was it still the QT framework ? ). But no love for the player from Apple.
It's smaller TC display wasn't as readable, but it had a great little Audio Meter for 8 tracks, where one could quickly verify the presence of a natsot track besides the full mix track. Essential feature for News Editing.
Movieola didn't have any Level Meters.

Both Players being 32bit constructs, they will disappear with the demise of 32bit support.

No one has yet offered anything equivalent, no devs seem to be interested in selling a Plain Player with these particular assets on board.

A shame.

Last edit: by Roadswitcher.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 21 Dec 2018 21:01 #98261

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Switch from Telestream is a possible alternative, no free.

I will miss Quicktime 7 in macOS 10.15 21 Dec 2018 22:00 #98264

• Roadswitcher
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Movieola & the MXF4mac Player weren't free either.

Telestream reminds me of Sorenson and their methods to become a good money making machine.
( didn't help them survive )

Although their "products" are overpriced ( my opinion fwiw ) they can claim a good dominance with apps like Wirecast ( OBS being far away but good enough for many ). Have been working on Wirecast since v5, always cringing when updates are presented. The highend versions we needed made us limit ourselves to only validating one single license on one machine at a time..

Switch could have been a clever QT7 replacement, but here again, they are playing the Apple tax game.
If you want audio meters, you have to pay for the Plus version, if you want to be able to use a BMD or AJA output bridge, you have to pay for the Pro version.
With these prices, multiplied by a bunch of machines that would need to have this always RTG, it can't be called of "good value".

If you or your company have the means to pay, why not. Good for you and especially good for Telestream.

• Page: