• Page:

TOPIC: How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 21 Jun 2018 22:07 #96026

• AppleGuru
  • AppleGuru's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
So we did receive the option to copy and past timecode in FCPX. Which is not very elegant or the Apple way.
Anyways how can I copy the timecode (using the clip skimmer) from the clips im the timeline so I can use this timecode to paste in clips in the Event browser?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 22 Jun 2018 13:04 #96035

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Hi AppleGuru,

This is actually very easy.

1. Put your playhead anywhere in the timeline and choose Edit > Copy Playhead Timecode (or use a custom keyboard shortcut, I use ALT+T).

2. Select your clip in the Event Viewer, click in the dashboard, press CMD+V, Return. Done.

- Ronny

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 22 Jun 2018 22:37 #96046

• PO
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Ronny. could clarify what you mean by the dash board?
Also wondered if you could throw some light on a problem I have with setting in timecode to the timecode window. Sometimes it works, but often I just get the no can do boing. Seems to be something to do with using multi screens maybe? very interested to know if others have the same experience.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 23 Jun 2018 09:11 #96052

• ronny courtens
Hey Peter!

The dashboard is the fancy name for the timecode window (-:

I am not aware of any issues with entering timecode in that window. But if you are using multiple screens, it may be better to NOT click with the mouse in the timecode window to activate manual entering of TC. Use the CTRL+P shortcut instead.

- Ronny

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 24 Jun 2018 11:31 #96072

• PO
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Ronny. Yes, shortcut works much better thank you. Another thing I was wondering from the above post from AppleGuru..why would you paste timecode from the project to the browser? Is this source or project code? Are you performing a match frame edit? I remember back in the Grass Valley days we used to set in to set out and vice-versa. But I can't figure out this move.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 25 Jun 2018 11:20 #96080

• ronny courtens
Why would you paste timecode from the project to the browser? Is this source or project code?

I honestly don't see much use for this, I am just showing that it can be done if anyone needs this.

- Ronny

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 02 Mar 2020 15:26 #105101

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm trying to learn FCP X and I'm studying from a book Final Cut Pro X 10.4 Apple Training Series by Brendan Boykin. I'm running into an issue with the Pasting Timecode because in the book they are showing a log that is good to create when working with a team of editors.

Here is an example

Clip name Start time End Time Notes Screenshot
MV1_1044 01:35:48:00 01:36:00:00 New Discovery

In the book, they are saying you can just copy and paste this information by having the media in list mode, click on the track, favorite or keyword and you can copy the entire list of information.

I would love your help on how to figure this out

Thanks,
Brandon

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 03 Mar 2020 21:35 #105158

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
No, that's the full file name. You want to copy ONLY the timecode, not the file name.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 03 Mar 2020 22:16 #105160

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
What do you mean? I wrote it out so it's easier to see because the forum pushed everything together. From the Timecode logs this are just parts that in the book it is saying you would need to copy and provide to your team. How is that the full name?

It the book I referred to it tries to explain that the person Ctrl -C and Ctrl -V this information which for some reason is not working for me.

Clip name
MV1_1044

Start time
01:35:48:00

End Time
01:36:00:00

Notes
New Discovery

Screenshot

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 04 Mar 2020 10:06 #105172

• ronny courtens
Hi Brandon.

I have no idea what they mean with this in the book. Can you post the text from the book where they explain this process?

- Ronny

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 04 Mar 2020 13:53 #105176

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here you go

"In a collaborative environment, you may work with a producer, reporter, client, or assistant editor who provides a log or select sheet. This sheet lists the acquired clips by name and/or timecode along with a brief description of the clips’ contents. In the case of interview clips, the log may include paraphrased notes or even a full transcription of the interview subject’s audio. When a sound bite is selected from the log, you may add more notes to the log or create a separate log that describes each desired sound bite. The sound bite log entry includes the filename, the in-cue of the audio, and the associated timecode for the start of each sound bite. The in-cue, often abbreviated as “IC,” states the two or three words spoken or audio heard for the start of the sound bite at the given timecode. Each sound bite log entry also includes the out-cue, or “OC.”

Final Cut Pro allows you to copy/paste that timecode data to ensure efficient and accurate recreation of the logged metadata within the app. From a source text document, copy a timecode entry using the standard copy shortcut, Command-C. With the destination clip selected in the Final Cut Pro Browser, click the timecode display beneath the Viewer, and then press the Paste keyboard shortcut, Command-V. The Browser clip will cue the playhead to the entered timecode. You can then press I or O to set the appropriate start/end point type."

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 04 Mar 2020 14:07 #105179

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I don't have the 10.4 version of the book (I've not taught a classroom since 10.3, and authorized training/certification is being killed off by Apple this June). But from the book I have, it is straight forward. Brandon supplies a table with metadata for you to use for the exercises. You simply copy timecode from the table, paste it to get to that exact point in a clip. It doesn't say you can export the entire Browser listing as a table.

Attachments:

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 04 Mar 2020 14:20 #105182

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi FCPX.guru.

ok you are just saying to copy and past the timecode actual time correct? What I am trying to let you know is I can not Command+C or just copy as they explain in the text.

I can go to the top and click on Edit>Copy Timecode which only copies where I am on the video.

I want to know if that is the functionality because it would be easier for me to just manually write it out if I am not able to copy the clip information in the list view ie name, notes, start, end, duration...etc all in one copy.

I know there are other tools I can use like Kyno and Producers Best Friend that I have found out about. That would pull this information. I just wanted to see if it was possible to pull the information from FCPX, but it appears it is not possible. Which I want to confirms I might be correct.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 05 Mar 2020 12:24 #105197

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
As the instructions say, copy the timecode from the LIST they give you. Then go to FCPX, select the timecode in the timecode field, paste.

What you are trying to do is very different from that exercise is showing. There's a utility somewhere, I forget what it is, but it exports the Browser list view info as a spreadsheet. Maybe someone else remembers what that is. But that's not a function I've ever needed.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 05 Mar 2020 12:40 #105203

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I am just following the exercise.

Go select the timecode you want to copy, the try to hit "Command-c" Then try to past it in your text document. see here:

"From a source text document, copy a timecode entry using the standard copy shortcut, Command-C. "

For some reason it's not letting me do the shortcut "Command-C" I can go to the file menu as I mentioned and Edit>Copy Timecode and that works. I am just not able to do the shortcut "Command-C"

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 05 Mar 2020 14:58 #105207

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
As Guru said the book is describing how to copy FROM a textdocument into FCP. You’re copying from FCP.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 05 Mar 2020 15:08 #105208

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
ok I do now understand what you are both saying. It was confusing because the author was talking about creating a timecode log file to send to your team. It didn't make sense that I was copy from the document into FCP to get the exact timecode in the context of what the author was talking about creating the log file vs working with it.

I get it now, which teaches me that all that information in the clip has to be manually typed out them or use a third party application that I referred to before to create a timecode log file.

is that correct?

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 05 Mar 2020 15:19 #105209

• ronny courtens
That's correct. Either you do it manually, as the book describes, or you use an app like Producers Best Friend that will do it all for you in just a few seconds:

- Ronny
Attachments:

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 06 Mar 2020 13:43 #105225

• BrandonKNSS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Ronny, that now makes sense. Thank you for helping a new FCPx user and hopefully soon a working editor.

Last edit: by BrandonKNSS.

How to copy and past timecode from clips in Timeline 06 Mar 2020 18:31 #105227

• Doug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Also, if you would like to be able to quickly copy the timecode FROM FCPX so you can paste it elsewhere, you can create a custom shortcut for the Copy Timecode or Copy Timecode at Playhead commands. Just a side note that could be useful.

• Page: