fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions?

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 03:03 #92615

• jitterbug
  • jitterbug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
ok so if I selected like hundreds of photos and their transitions by dragging a range through them, how can I now deselect the transitions? (because i`m going to use ctrl D to change the duration of the photos but keep the transitions the same...

I thought the better way to do this is to bring up the clips in the index then select and shift select through a range of them. however if the photos and video clips have different names then that wont work because if I just view them in the clips listing, then I need to manually cmmd click the ones I want anyway, can do this in the time line.

so I tried creating a tag (photos and PS) for all my photos, this way I can bring them up isolate them in the index, however on searching for them they dont appear in the index...

I applied the new keyword to all the photos after they were put in the time line, but this shouldnt matter right?

actually I see I can select clips/video in the index, this will also list all my photos, however doesnt solve the issue of the tag not showing either in index/clips when I search or index/tags in those listings

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jitterbug. Reason: missing screen captures

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 05:27 #92619

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 495
One problem with what your doing; if you're dragging a range across a whole bunch of clips, meaning they're adjacent to each other, and you delete them, but not the transitions, you end up with a series of transitions with no clips between them. Why would you want that?

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 06:09 #92623

• jitterbug
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
i`ve tried a few times now to upload my screen captures but never seems to work... :blink:

No I didnt want to delete the clips and leave the transitions, I wanted to use ctrl D to adjust clip duration, but when I dragged through a range I was subsequently selecting the transitions too.

I realized now what I need to do is go to INDEX/clips/video tab at bottom of index window (that also lists the photos). then I can click the photo in the time line I want to start from, it will be highlighted in the index listing, and then shift click the last photo in the index listing I want to include in the range, this will select all those photos. I can then use ctrl D to adjust the clip duration across all those photos.

I can do the same for transitions by searching index/clips/"cross dissolve" for my transitions, and then using ctrl D to adjust the clip duration.

However the problem with my keyword "photos and PS" not showing up in the index search is concerning me.
I restarted FCPX but the same result.. :dry:

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 06:27 #92626

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

jitterbug wrote: i`ve tried a few times now to upload my screen captures but never seems to work... …

hint: use the 'Add File' function when creating a post
2nd hint: try to avoid 'out of the box Screen Shot.png', resize to 1000pix and jpg

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 06:37 #92627

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

jitterbug wrote: … my keyword "photos and PS" not showing up in the index …

you applied the Keyword(s) AFTER applying the clips/photos to timeline?
then, indeed, the Index doesn't list them

but…
applying the clips/photos already in a project a Role/sub-role DOES work.
simply create a new sub-role Video/Stills … in the Event Browser, choose the Smartlist Stills, select all, apply new SubRole in the Inspector …

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 06:45 #92630

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
The clip placed in the timeline is a separate instance of the clip from the one in the browser. Changing the browser clip, adding a tag in this instance, doesn’t change the timeline clip.

Use feedback to request the feature you want.

selecting a whole range of clips (and transitions) then deselecting the transitions? 21 Dec 2017 07:29 #92634

• jitterbug
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Karsten, the subrole works and allows me to isolate those tracks in the time line added bonus.

Thanks Tom will do, yea on the one hand it can be useful if you want to only tag instances moving forward but more useful for me to "update" existing clips with new tags as i`m working, this adds to the non linear approach of metadata management. and I always thought instances were a copy of the original and changes filtered through, so this works a bit different or I didnt get it in the first place.

will send through my feature request.

**also finding if in the keyword editor you add say 4 keywords, if you delete the end one, all 4 keywords get deleted...frustrating.. yet if you delete any of the others before the last keyword, only that one keyword gets deleted. probably a bug.

• Page: