• Page:

TOPIC: Render Files not deleting

Render Files not deleting 16 Nov 2017 09:05 #91737

• bzimmo
  • bzimmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am having real difficulty with a certain project.

I have finished with this project and before I move it to my back up drives, I always delete the render files to free up space. All my other projects have worked fine doing this, and saved me a large amount of disk space.

However, this one project will not delete the render files etc in the library. When I do the delete generated library files, I watch the space increase in the library? Why wont it delete the files like normal

I have tried this a few times now and it just will not remove this space. Am I missing something here?

I have now turned off background rendering in the preferences and tried it again and it does nothing when I do the process?

Can anyone help me here, I am banging my head against a wall.

Thanks
barry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Render Files not deleting 16 Nov 2017 10:01 #91741

• bzimmo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More information on this now, as I have spoken to a Apple support guy.

It seems that as I use iphone clips in my project and use the rate conform to OPTICAL FLOW so that the clips are smooth playing these files do not get deleted when you delete all render etc..

They have an engineer looking into this. But it seems you cannot remove these files when you are freeing up space on your hard drive.

Pretty poor really.

Render Files not deleting 17 Nov 2017 04:21 #91764

• Squamish ed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
That's surprising - Final Cut Library Manager app lets me delete optical flow renders easily.
Ed

Render Files not deleting 17 Nov 2017 05:30 #91765

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
Yes, Final Cut Library manager handles this whereas FCPX only seems to delete just the render files. You can select the library and right (or control) click to show package contents. Then navigate to your necessary event and drag the RENDER folder to the trash. You can also do this for the ANALYSIS FILES folder.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Render Files not deleting 17 Nov 2017 06:07 #91768

• bzimmo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys,

You would have thought the apple technician I spoke too would have known this?

The library manager app would be better management of the data, but you would have thought that final cut pro would be able to handle these things through the menu options and not having to extract the package to remove the files.

So dwgvideo, is it okay to just empty the complete optical flow folder, or do you need to remove the folders within their individually?

Thanks
Barry

Render Files not deleting 17 Nov 2017 15:22 #91774

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
You can delete the entire optical flow folder if you need to, or individual files within it. Be aware that the clip will re-generate optical flow data when you reopen the project as long as the retiming menu selection for video quality remains set at Optical Flow. So you may want to select the clip, uncheck optical flow by setting the quality back to normal and then close FCPX and manually delete the optical flow folder.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

• Page: