fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Casablanca

Casablanca 05 May 2017 10:51 #87817

• Schwyhart
  • Schwyhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
So, I might have a two week job teaching high school students videography. The catch is their editing system is a Casablanca and they're using ooooollllldddd camera's.
The man showing me the equipment said "This was the standard ten years ago." I'm thinking more like 25 years ago.
Does anyone have experience with this artifact?

I'm going to do it either way...it's an easy $1,000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Schwyhart.

Casablanca 05 May 2017 16:08 #87829

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Well first off I have absolutely no experience with this system or software, but curiosity killed the cat so I did some quick web searches and I have to say, "Doubt $1,000.00 is near enough, and the school is doing a great disservice teaching it at all". IMHO
Wow what a pile of poo

There is YouTube vids on this including this guy…

TL;DV Think his vid is reflective of quality of product :sick:

Question is "Why would school continue to teach this system?" All OS's offer better free or low cost alternatives. Any Macs? iMovie or FCPX

I feel sorry for your future pain :P

greg

Casablanca 07 May 2017 02:31 #87845

• Schwyhart
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry for the delayed response.

No, it's not for a school. It's the Tulsa Living Arts Museum. I'm pretty sure this equipment was donated to them and they only use it for this event that happens once a year. Non-profit's finances are feast or famine and there's nothing in-between. Either they have more money than they know what to do with, or they're barely making it.

There are 6 topics that the students will learn over two weeks. The final project will have them incorporate each discipline into one art display. The topics include: video, music, sculpture, painting, etc.
I think TLAM is more concerned about teaching concepts during this 'camp,'but of course, if they had the money they would upgrade their equipment.

I do wish they had at least an old mac with FCP7 on it.

Casablanca 07 May 2017 14:49 #87859

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
I have occasionally worked with Casablanca ages ago, and it's a royal pain in the ass. I did not even know it even existed anymore. Casablanca is actually editing hardware, not software. If they have Macs available, it would be much more efficient for the students to learn editing concepts in iMovie and this would not cost the museum anything.

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Casablanca 08 May 2017 15:09 #87902

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Having started 4 non profits and volunteering for many more, I know how tight money can be. But it also makes it possible to get donated equipment especially older computers.

Think I would beg borrow or bring in my own computer, find out how many of the Students have iPhones or other smart phones and shoot footage with those. You could then either download to one computer to teach or even do simple editing on the phones themselves. Think that would be preferable to using Casablanca. Ya, you might not have the options.

Remember seeing Sam Mestman from "We Make Movies" .org and LumaForge made a video about doing a weekend movie making class, very impressive. Shared it here on fop.co… www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1772-h...obile-film-challenge
Some good advice/workflows.

Good Luck, Greg

Casablanca 09 May 2017 14:28 #87924

• Schwyhart
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Apparently Casablanca's are still being made: http://www.dalco.co.uk/meteor.html

Yes, I agree. I might bring in my laptop and have them shoot using their iPhones. I have access to 4K professional cameras, but they're not mine to loan. Literally anything would be better than the equipment they have.

Casablanca 09 May 2017 23:25 #87934

• MarkNelsonMovies
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
What about shooting on the old cameras, then editing on something like your laptop?
Old pro SD cameras still produce a decent image, especially if the final destination is a DVD,
And learning to use the manual controls can be something valuable that you won't get from a phone.
You could also stylize the video to look old, and then the resolution would't matter so much.

(On a side note the video Greg liked reminds me of a software I installed on an ancient XP box years ago, in hopes that it would be better than Windows Movie Maker 2, It wasn't. I continued using MM until my Dad bought a mac with iMovie, and the rest is history.)

Casablanca 11 May 2017 06:48 #87973

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Gee, I am a bit confused...that device has hdmi, and a very suspect operating system.. Surely Linux is bit more modern, I know that video might be old, but with the HDMI it cannot be too many years...

Yeah, I am sure you could eBay a decent mac and use final cut classic, or find Final Cut Express 3.5HD for a couple of $...

I really think if you are going to teach anything around editing, something from at least 2005 onwards...

Oh.. 2010... oh gee, that is like 7 years ago, and 3 years before my latest MacBook pro... Gosh...I am stunned...I was convinced that was from around 1995, the era of the FAST VM studio.. Even premiere from the mid 90's was a beast compared to this...wow!!

Last edit: by MsJustine.
  • Page: