fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX Workflow: When to apply the LUT?

FCPX Workflow: When to apply the LUT? 09 Apr 2017 22:49 #87063

• tseditor
  • tseditor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi community,

This is my first of many posts, I'm sure. I'm sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find a thread that answers my question. I am preparing to cut a feature shooting on a Red Dragon and will be cutting in FCPX. My workflow will be to import and transcode to proxy media within FCPX before editing.

I have installed the mLUT plugin my MotionVFX and I need to know whether I should apply these LUTS before or after transcoding to proxy. For instance, which workflow makes the most sense? Does it even matter? Do I need to apply a LUT to the 4K raw footage and then again to the proxy footage? Etc.

Option 1:
Import RED into FCPX > apply LUT to 4K footage > transcode to proxy media (does the LUT get baked in?)

Option 2:
Import RED into FCPX > transcode to proxy media > apply LUT to proxy media (if I were to revert back to 4k footage for an export, do I lose the LUT?)

Thank you so much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX Workflow: When to apply the LUT? 10 Apr 2017 14:50 #87076

• DmitriZigany
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
No, it doesn't matter, nothing is baked in and everything you apply to the proxy media will be applied to the original once you switch back...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: