Problems synchronising multiple angles 06 Apr 2017 02:30 #86992

• Happyfingers
  • Happyfingers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello all
Recently ive taken to filming my sons ice hockey games
ive been trying a few different things to cover the whole rink, including using more than one camera
and ive watched the how to synchronise multiple angles videos on youtube a number of times
on youtube when they push the synchronise button the progress bar zips across the screen and whoosho they are ready to go
when i do it the progress bar hardly even starts and my macbook pro basically locks up until such time as i cancel the synchronisation.

any ideas on what i may be doing wrong ?
just when editing (with my very basic editing skills) trying to cut from one camera to another without them being synchronised is very difficult. (in fact i gave up trying)
here is a link to my youtube channel, as you can see I suck at this :ohmy: :P

right at the end of that video there is a slow mo of one of the players getting his clavical broken if thats the sort of thing that interest you :unsure:
ive given up optimising footage as it just consumes so much storage, so i just use the original footage and leave it in place on the external hard drive

Guys i really am right at the bottom end of knowing what im doing when it comes to editing and for that i apologise to you all :oops:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problems synchronising multiple angles 06 Apr 2017 02:38 #86994

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 402
Sync requires all cameras be recording the same, CLEAR audio that can be used for such. Ambient sound in a rink is not going to work. It's simply not "clear". There's nothing definitive for the sound to sync to.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Problems synchronising multiple angles 06 Apr 2017 02:41 #86995

• Happyfingers
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
ok so what is the best way to work with more than one camera ?

say you you have a goal from one angle then want to see it from the other, is there an easier way than hunting threw the other camera for the same event ?

Problems synchronising multiple angles 06 Apr 2017 07:51 #86996

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
One way would be to find something visual to sync to. Place a marker there on each clip, sync to the marker. In the old days before multicam, I used a small hand held photographers flash.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Problems synchronising multiple angles 06 Apr 2017 08:48 #86997

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 647
I'm editing my sons football ('soccer') matches, for years, using up to 5 unmanned cameras + me operating the 'main' cam.

based upon this experience:
• automatic synch by audio can work, I tried that several times…  but depends very much on situation, e.g. wind noise = not synch on cams a 100m away = doesn't work
• I'm synching 'by first marker': luckily, all cams record the refs whistle. So, I manually skim, in the event browser, to that point in each angle and set a marker.
• such markers don't have necessarily be at the beginning of the clips, e.g. in a theatre play, I set markers on applause at the very end of the play
• and, clips don't have to be single-shot, this technique works with start-stop/interrupted recordings too (e.g. when I miss 2min because of switching batteries)

To set a marker manually, you need a 'sign' on all cam angles, acoustically (whistle, clapping) or visually (flash lights, subject starts to move, lights go on/off)

When MultiCam is created, don't miss the biggest fun - TVtruck editing:
add a longer sequence to your project; set playhead at beginning; click play; and by hitting 1,2,3,4,5,6 you set the angle 'live', (“… aaaand close-up to #3 !") :lol:

With some routine, you don't need the angle viewer : 1 is my main cam, 2 is right wide, 4 is close right goal, same with 3 and 5. You 'know' which angle catches the action.

Plus: if you miss an edit point, or the angle does not show the ball/puck, you can cmd-z or trim or choose a diff. angle... it 'feels' like live editing , but luckily it isn't.

Big fun! Oh, and btw: I mix all sorts of formats and frame rates - Some of my cams are 50€ cheapos… 'sacrifice cams' = lost two over the years by some hell of a shot :woohoo:

Problems synchronising multiple angles 06 Apr 2017 10:12 #86999

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
just to add. As I think right zoom and slow motion is key for your videos have a look at blog.alex4d.com/2012/09/06/alex-4d-grow-shrink-effect/ that I use lately for zoom effects. Of course can be done as well with fcpx directly but for my it's more handy and easier.
In my videos I do the camera sync as well manually thanks to the help of keywords, markers and I&O favorite definitions.
example:

have fun and put a cam in the goal ;-)

Problems synchronising multiple angles 09 Apr 2017 02:28 #87042

• Happyfingers
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
thanks for the advice guys, ive kinda given up trying to do multiple cameras for now, i might have another go at it as i get better

Problems synchronising multiple angles 09 Apr 2017 02:31 #87043

• Happyfingers
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Karsten there is just so much info in this response :)
im reading then reading again to try and understand what you mean

if i set markers (easy enough) how then do i tell it to synchronize by using the markers ?

Problems synchronising multiple angles 09 Apr 2017 05:51 #87045

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Away

Happyfingers wrote: …if i set markers (easy enough) how then do i tell it to synchronize by using the markers ?

Have you read the manual?

Have you watched the rippletwins? (although demoed in an legacy version of FC still legit)?
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rippletraining+multicam

Or, just watch, how I edit sons yesterday match:

Step #1:
Import and conventions.

I used three cams, left, right (both unmanned) and a main on the stands. I'm no fan of renaming, so I simply apply in the Inspector the corresponding Angle names. And no, no proxies, no optimzed - AVCHD and mp4 'out of the box'.

Step #2:
Finding a synch point.

In my case, it's easy - all three cams record the refs whistle (more or less, sometime a bit tricky to hear it). So, in each three clips, I maneuver (J/K/L, or cursor keys) to that point and hit M = blue dot

Step #3
Multicam Magic

Next, I select ALL clips for that MC - notice: two cams created one clip, another five. Choose New Multicam, and some settings:
a) frame rate - I will add tons of slowmo in my lil' report, so I recorded in 50fps, but my project is 25fps.
b) Angle Synchronisation …'on First Marker' (audio synch unchecked) => that does all the trick! And because it's so simple, those three 50min clips are synched within a second ....

Done. ok, needs some arrangement, I like 'main' as first track, etc etc.

Step #4
TVtruck editing

in my Project, select a portion of my MC, add it to project. Hit play, and when the players reach the 'box' I yell to myself "… aaaaand camera 3!" - big fun! :)

when edit done, add rewinds, slowmos, packaging - Hollywood.
<cough> kinda … ;)

big fun for me, big fun for the boys, a wonderful hobby wasting hours in front of glooming monitor.
… and, all done with a shabby, 5y old MacTubberbox and a few hundred €€ snaps from eBay ..... :woohoo:

Problems synchronising multiple angles 09 Apr 2017 12:20 #87051

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Yeah, I'm going to repeat Karstan here in my own words. Start by reading the manual about multicams, for sure.
help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.3/#/ver23c76439

And if you still need more, get Ripple or macProVideo's video training on multicams.

Problems synchronising multiple angles 09 Apr 2017 12:37 #87055

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Away

FCPX.guru wrote: Yeah, I'm going to repeat Karstan here ….

… your maiden name is Echoe, I see … ;)

Problems synchronising multiple angles 09 Apr 2017 23:24 #87064

• Happyfingers
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
i watched the rippletwins video and now im even more confused :angry:

3 videos on the timeline all with 3 videos on top of one another

it just made no sense to me

Problems synchronising multiple angles 10 Apr 2017 03:42 #87065

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Away

Happyfingers wrote: …it just made no sense to me

You told us. Several times.

But not WHAT you don't understand, where your problem is to understand the concept of MultiCam: one scene, recorded from several angles simultaneously = parallel, synched tracks. Switchable.

Problems synchronising multiple angles 10 Apr 2017 10:52 #87073

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I think you're confusing the Angle Editor with editing the multicam clip in a project timeline.

Problems synchronising multiple angles 10 Apr 2017 11:04 #87074

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Away

FCPX.guru wrote: I think you're confusing the Angle Editor with editing the multicam clip in a project timeline.

hmmm, I think, the rippletwins explain the difference very well.

… perhaps, Apple should re-name the Angle-Editor an 'Angle Arranger' - to make clear: this is no Tracks-replacement, you don't 'edit' here :lol:

Problems synchronising multiple angles 10 Apr 2017 17:33 #87077

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I make it very clear in my classroom training, also. But some folks get confused with it, as you said, thinking you edit in the Angle Editor. Since I get it a lot in live training, I figured that may be the issue here.

• Page: