fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Imported clips are slowed down :( 26 Sep 2016 10:29 #80276

Hi everyone!

I have been using Final Cut Pro for a few years now. Currently on 10.2.1

Recently when I import video form my Canon 70d, 80d or 6d into the timeline, it is slowed down.
The pitch is lower and to get it back in time I have to increase the speed to 104%.
I do a lot of music videos and having to do this every time is taking ages!!

When I import videos off my phone (.MP4) the audio pitch and timing is fine.

Any ideas would be really appreciated

Thanks! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Imported clips are slowed down :( 26 Sep 2016 13:54 #80289

What are the frame rates of the clips from your cameras, and the frame rates of the projects you are using them in?

Imported clips are slowed down :( 26 Sep 2016 16:36 #80304

ryan.lowry wrote: … to get it back in time I have to increase the speed to 104%.…

(pocket calculator…) that is a 25fps to 24fps conformation.

But doesn't explain, why a) FCPX doesn't do it automatically, nor b) doesn't pitch automatically … out-of-the box, conform and pitch are set to that ....

Imported clips are slowed down :( 18 Oct 2020 20:52 #110532

Did this ever get solved in the end? I'm having exactly the same problem since updating FCP to newer version. Using canon 80D.

Imported clips are slowed down :( 19 Oct 2020 15:25 #110545

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 424

JamesPendle wrote: Did this ever get solved in the end? I'm having exactly the same problem since updating FCP to newer version. Using canon 80D.

Did what get solved? When conforming 24 fps and 25 fps material, FCPX will stretch or shrink one to match the timeline rate. This is unavoidable, as you can only have a single frame rate for the timeline itself, and all clips must conform to that. The only straightforward way to conform 24 and 25 fps is a rate change.

Despite previous statements, when FCPX does this it automatically uses audio pitch correction. You can verify this by taking a dialog clip and do Modify>Retime>Custom, set it to 50% speed, and play it. The voice will be slower but pitch will be maintained.

To see the difference, first play that same clip in VLC at 50% speed (CMD + minus key twice, on-screen display will show 50% playback rate). It will sound just like FCPX.

Then disable pitch correction in VLC and do the same thing. To do this use VLC Preferences>Show All>Audio, and uncheck "Enable time stretching audio". It will play at the same 50% rate but pitch will be shifted much lower.
To restore VLC you re-check that option, the shut down and re-launch VLC.

A high priority on any planned shoot is verify all cameras are at the same frame rate or an even multiple of that. E.g, 23.98, 47.96, or 30, 60, 90, etc. Frame rates that are even multiples can easily be conformed in post without artifacts.

An exception might be if a drone or gimbal cam was running at 60 fps, with the plan of slowing that for smooth slow motion. But if that material is then needed at 1x playback speed it cannot be perfectly rate conformed with 24 fps.

There are cases where you have no control over this, say material is contributed such as a car crash captured on a cell phone.

Or maybe you have archival material at a different frame rate. Say you're planning a documentary at 24 fps but during pre-production it becomes apparent you'll be using a lot of 29.97 fps archival material. In that case consideration should be given to making the entire project 29.97 to match that material. The alternative is spend a lot of time and effort trying to shoe horn 29.97 material into a 24 fps project. This usually requires optical flow rate conforming, lots of CPU & GPU time rendering, and meticulous examination of every clip for artifacts.

Outside these exceptions, all participants in any planned shoot should be informed well in advance of the urgency of verifying the frame rate of their cameras. Even smart phones often have adjustable frame rates.

Imported clips are slowed down :( 03 Dec 2020 19:34 #111220

I have the same problem. Running FCP10.5.
Seems that files recorded on a PC are coming in slow and musically flat, while other files are not, so they are out of sync.
I am coordinating and compiling files for a virtual choir.
Choir director sends a piano file and parts files (done on a PC, unknown software, MP4 format) which we singers all listen to, follow and sing to. Then those separate recordings are sent to me. I'm to keep the piano file and merge in the singer files.
I've always imported using just the defaults. Start a new Project and import the media. I import the piano file and I import the various singer files. Piano file first then the others. This time I also brought in the parts files.
Piano file and parts files all easily synced fine.
But I find Piano file and parts are now slower and flat to the singer files.
All the singer files are consistent and work together.
My conclusion was that all the PC-generated files got slowed on import to FCP, but not the other files.
I compared the piano file pre-import on my iphone (as if I am singing to it) with the piano file post-import on FCP and sure enough the FCP version is slow and flat to the same file played on my phone.
It is just that piano file that got distorted, not the various singer files that were sent to me. A whole bunch of different sources for those. Phones usually but mine is Canon 5D.
Another clue. The speed difference is 4%. If I speed it to 104% then sound aligns but the pitch is still annoyingly off. I bring this up as this was same as someone else in a different post claimed.
I've done five of these music videos. Just two have worked out fine. Last week the same as this week problems.

I shouldn't think this is a PC software setting issue as singing to those files seems to be fine.
I don't see a setting on import that would change the speed of an individual track (if that is the right term)
Could it be the MP4 format? Must I treat MP4 differently on import? What settings?
Any clues from anyone?

Thanks,
Doug

Imported clips are slowed down :( 03 Dec 2020 20:00 #111224

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 424

dkhphotosma wrote: ...The speed difference is 4%. If I speed it to 104% then sound aligns but the pitch is still annoyingly off....

4% is the difference between 24 fps (or 23.98 fps) and 25 fps. This could imply that somebody previously processed the files using software that did a "rate conform", thereby slowing down the material, then exported it which locked in that result.

If the files sound OK before import to FCP, it could also happen then. In an FCP timeline if clips have mixed 24 and 25 fps frame rates, the conforming algorithm will alter speed of one group by 4%.

This doesn't happen on mixed 24 and 30 fps material because the conforming algorithm is different. When shooting video, extreme care should be given to ensure all cameras are recording at the same frame rate or an even multiple such as 30 and 60 fps.

I believe when the 4% rate conform is done, FCP automatically compensates the pitch. It's possible that gets locked in, then when manually stretched to 104% the pitch is wrong.

Check each clip before import to FCP by playing it in Quicktime Player and do a CMD+I. That will verify the frame rate. The first step in solving the problem is understanding the cause.

Imported clips are slowed down :( 03 Dec 2020 20:52 #111225

Thank you Joema. Very helpful response.
Indeed the piano and parts files were 25 FPS and my Canon file was 23.98. Others mostly were 29.9x and 30, though 1 at 15.05. I've instructed everyone to move to 30 FPS.

So I think this is solved for me. My summary:
- There can be conflicts between FPS. FCP attempts to address but not always done perfectly. 25 and 30 FPS conflicts solved better than 25 and 23.98 FPS conflicts.
- In my case, could be that a conflict of 25 FPS vs 23.98 FPS was resolved by slowing the 25 FPS file. Clue was that 4% difference to get them aligned.
- Easy check of FPS speed is looking in QuickTime Command I.
- Resolution should happen if recordings all done at the same speed. I'm settling on 30 FPS. Multiples like 15 FPS which I have too should be fine.

Thank you so much!

• Page: