fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5?

Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5? 22 Jun 2016 18:16 #78041

• Robes
  • Robes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All-

I just bought the Zoom H5 recorder and am setting it up, I use FCPX also. I know to choose WAV over MP3, but not sure which of the following WAV formats: 48kHz/24bit, 44.1kHz/24bit, 48kHz/16bit, or 44.1kHz/16bit. Thinking these are the choices since any of these can be used while backup recording is ON. Although, these two formats are offered without backup recording: WAV 96kHz/24bit or /16bit.

I stumbled across this article: www.geniusdv.com/news_and_tutorials/2009/10/using_wav_files.php which recommends converting WAV to AIFF files before importing to FCPX. Specifically converting to AIFF 48kHz/16bit, if that's the case, then maybe my best choice is setting the H5 to WAV 48kHz/16bit (if that makes conversion easier if needed)?

TIA
Robes-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5? 22 Jun 2016 18:45 #78042

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
FCPX works equally well with WAV or AIFF.
Video standard for audio is 16-bit, 48kHz, so record at that.
If the only 49kHz setting is 24-bit, that's fine, as long as the sample rate is 49kHz.
Mismatching audio sample rate is the most common cause of "audio drift" when matching it up to video.
For easy sync to your video recordings, be sure your video camera is also recording sound (48kHz).

Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5? 22 Jun 2016 20:07 #78047

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
I always use 48Khz/16-bit with my H5. There's really no need to record in 24-bit unless you plan to heavily edit the audio beyond the usual cuts and fades. If you plan on slowing down the audio, a higher bit rate and sample rate may help preserve details.

But regardless of what you record in, FCPX will make it match the project settings which is 24-bit 48Khz.

Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5? 23 Jun 2016 14:49 #78070

• Robes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll set to 48kHz/16bit. I know the WAV and AIFF run equally well with Mac's but I have another question which maybe some light could be shed.

It might be that I'm reading old information or those posting are using legacy versions of FCP and older computers, which case I'm reading too far into this. But, even Larry Jordon says convert your WAV to AIFF b/4 importing to FCP, this post was from 2014, and whether he distinguishes FCPX from FCP(7?) I don't know. Yet, the conversion is fast, easy enough and seems many do it to avoid possible sync, dropped frame issues and supposedly allows Final Cut to run better. Guess I can convert and save a AIFF file to use if I have issues, no big deal. Just curious if this simply is not a concern today with updated FCPX software & newer iMac or if some find converting is still the better practice?

Robes-

Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5? 23 Jun 2016 17:40 #78080

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
FCPX works with wav files just fine. We deal with them, even multitrack wav files, all day and every day with no problems.

Which Audio Recording Format Using Zoom H5? 24 Jun 2016 11:24 #78097

• Robes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanx All- :cheer:

• Page: