fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug

Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug 16 May 2016 00:30 #76736

• cortlander
  • cortlander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have videos that I prepared in FCPX that I have been trying to upload to my account in Smugmug. I had no issues using the Menu/File/Share/Export file for h.264/mp4/1280x720 setting, computer format, AAC audio. File size was less than 2GB and under 20 min that met the Smugmug limit of 20 min and 3 GB. However, when I tried to upload a 1920x1080 file/2.86GB I would either get a 'connection error' or something else. After a dozen tries, I gave up and contacted smug mug for support.

Initially they said that probably my ISP was throttling the transfer. But then I demonstrated that there was no issue when I sent the file to my youtube account. So they asked for the file (sent to their dropbox) to investigate. In fact they were able to upload the file, but the method was a bit different. They describe it at Smug mug instructions . Now these are once again instructions to upload at the lower 1280 resolution, whereas the file I had sent was of a higher resolution..

But I am curious as to how I can set Frame rate and scaling in FCPX.

Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cortlander. Reason: clarity

Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug 16 May 2016 01:03 #76737

• cortlander
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I just had a response from SmugMug that the file they converted using the method that they suggested was in fact the higher res 1920x1080 file.

So something is not perfect in the was my file is prepared in FCPX for Smugmug, and they claim that the MPEG Streamclip is able to do this.

Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug 16 May 2016 01:24 #76739

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
You can use the Modify Settings button i n the FCO Inspector – unless you want to changer the frame rate.

You can also change the frame rate in the New project dialog. Create a custom project and then copy/paste to the new timeline.

For more control, consider Compressor.

Russ

Settings button in the Inspector to

Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug 16 May 2016 02:14 #76740

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
You can always go into Compressor, make a custom preset dialed in only for that video service. Use it to create a custom Destination in FCPX.

Or "Send To Compressor" and adjust frame rates and sizes there.

Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug 16 May 2016 13:39 #76783

• cortlander
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Russ Haskell wrote: You can use the Modify Settings button i n the FCO Inspector – unless you want to changer the frame rate.

You can also change the frame rate in the New project dialog. Create a custom project and then copy/paste to the new timeline.

For more control, consider Compressor.

Russ

Sorry, I was not very clear. What I had in mind was the data transfer rate such as 8 Mb/s. I could not find where to set it. But I did download MPEG Streamclip and not only could I set the rate and other parameters, the file size went down to 1 GB from 2.2GB. A bit slow, though.

Settings button in the Inspector to

Issues with Settings for preparing a file to upload to Smugmug 16 May 2016 13:44 #76784

• cortlander
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BenB wrote: You can always go into Compressor, make a custom preset dialed in only for that video service. Use it to create a custom Destination in FCPX.

Or "Send To Compressor" and adjust frame rates and sizes there.

Thanks. I have not yet purchased Compressor, but for now the free shareware MPEG Streamclip seems to do the job. As I get deeper into this, I will have to get it.

• Page: