fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX unexpectadly closing down???????

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 14 Mar 2016 23:17 #74324

• justin_lucas
  • justin_lucas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey all :)
This has happened numerous times lately and it is frustrating, I have been going to the backups and using them afterwards but why is this occurring I still have 244.95gb free on my Mac and the external 3TB hard drive is not even a quarter full.????

Does this happen to others?

How can I stop this occurring.

Cheers Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 15 Mar 2016 03:17 #74327

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
If your system drive is 1TB, you're getting dangerously close to full. 100GB away, and that's close.

I'd clear off that system drive of some garbage.

I'd also ask what third party plugins you're using.

Then, launch FCPX while holding down Option and Command keys at the same time, to delete all preference files.
Perhaps run Disk Utility to repair all drives.
Run Disk Warrior and rebuild the Directory on all drives.

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 15 Mar 2016 18:32 #74372

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi Justin
Have you checked the diagnostic log files? This is the first place I would check.
~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/FCPX(?) (You may need to hold down option key and use the "Go" menu in a Finder window to see your "Library" )
Somewhere near the top of the report it will show what is failing or causing an error.

Also if you go into System Preferences>Security&Privacy under the "Privacy" tab > Diagnostics & Usage and uncheck Send Diagnostic and usage to Apple then when it crashes you will get a pop-up window with the crash report you can view on your desktop.

Deleting preferences may help as Ben says or…
You may also need to delete your cache and render files if these are the culprit, but I would first suspect any 3rd party plug-ins. Check for updates and compatibility of all plug-ins with whatever versions of OS and FCPX you are using.
It is also possible you have corrupt files somewhere.
You can also see if you have the same issue if you open the project in a different user account.

Richard Taylor has these tips to try troubleshooting… fcpx.tv/Pages/top10troublesthoot2.html

Always a good idea to provide as much info as you can so we can offer targeted help. Mac model/ram/OS/FCPX version/ etc…

Hope this helps, Greg

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 16 Mar 2016 12:57 #74398

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Just to add…if you find that a back up library will open and you can work on its projects, it would seem point to corrupted library data bases as the cause. Why that should be happening as a pattern, is another matter…possibly third party stuff, as has been suggested already. Also, as previously suggested, a good idea to trash the preference files after a crash – even if those files weren't the culprits.

Good luck.

Russ

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 16 Mar 2016 23:24 #74414

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331

BenB wrote: If your system drive is 1TB, you're getting dangerously close to full. 100GB away, and that's close.

I'd clear off that system drive of some garbage.

I'd also ask what third party plugins you're using.

Then, launch FCPX while holding down Option and Command keys at the same time, to delete all preference files.
Perhaps run Disk Utility to repair all drives.
Run Disk Warrior and rebuild the Directory on all drives.

Ditto to everything Ben said, especially disk capacity. Stay away from the edge, have at least 30% free space. At any moment in time your free space is only an approximate indicator of what's available. When running, FCPX uses huge amounts of disk space for render files, OS X is using paging file space, etc. You could hit a momentary peak, exhaust available space without knowing it.

Yes, every single code path in every single app ever written should check the return code on every I/O API they do, and should gracefully degrade if out of space. In the real world this does not always happen.

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 17 Mar 2016 21:30 #74439

• justin_lucas
  • justin_lucas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Ben, Joe, Russ, VidGreg.
Cheers for all the input.
It is MacBook Pro, 2.7Ghz Intel Core i7
16gb 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GT 650m 1024MB

Im running OS X El Capitan and the latest version of FCPx 10.2.3
I am not up there with all the terms you guys are using, Im pretty amateur compared to you guys with the editing but love it all the same.
A few questions? When you say (System Drive), do you mean my Computer or the Hard drive that the Library is saved to? Computer is 499GB with 333GBfree. The FCP Working Bundle is saved on a 3TB drive with 2.43TB free. And the RAW footage is saved on a 1TB drive with 284GB Free.

It has seemed to resolve it was closing down when I was importing but now that everything is imported it seems to be running smoother. :) : ) It is a little 'jittery' when playback at times.

Third Party plugins??? Is this like after effects and things like that? I don't think I use any third party plugins, just FCP as it is.

If I launch FCPx and delete all the preference files as a few people have said to do, will this effect my project? I don't want to lose it :) silly question I know but what are the preference files?

I have also been going onto the FCP Backups folder regularly and deleting all the older backups so they don't take more space and just keeping the most recent backup? Are these the preference files or cash and render files or neither hehe.

I will run disk utility. Thanks

Sorry for the basic questions Cheers

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 17 Mar 2016 23:51 #74441

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi Justin
Thanks for the additional info. This will really help us help you.
Yes the "System drive" is the internal drive where your Operating System (OS) is located. It can also be called your "boot drive" and by default will be called MacIntosh HD or something like that.
This drive on your computer is a solid state drive (ssd).
You have plenty of room on all your drives. No Worries there.

Given that you are using 2 external drives, a 3TB drive where your FCPX Library is stored, (we'll call that your library drive) and additionally you have a 1TB "Media" drive where you store your "RAW" footage. So this raises some questions.

What are the formats for each of the external drives?
You can check this by first going into a "Finder" window (The name "Finder" will be in the upper left area of your menu bar next to the Apple icon) then hold down the command key then press the "n" key. This will take you to Finder sidebar. If your drives do not show up in the sidebar, open Finder preferences under the "Finder" Menu bar or hold down Command key then press the comma "," key. Under preferences you can either use the "General" tab and click on Show on Desktop > External disks or under the "Sidebar" tab click on the same. Now your external disks will either show up on your desktop as icons or will be listed in the sidebar of the window you have open.
Now highlight each of your external drives and either right click > Get Info or use the "File" menu Get Info or keyboard shortcut command + "i". What are the formats for each drive?
It is preferable if you have formatted them to MacOS Journaled, if you see NTFS or ExFAT this can cause issues.

How is each drive connected? USB (2 or 3)? Thunder Bolt (TB)?
You can tell the connection by the cable it uses.
If it is a USB drive, you need to determine if it is USB 2 or 3. You do this by connecting your drives, then click on the Apple Icon in the Menu bar and choosing "About this Mac", then the "System Report" button then on the list on the left scroll to "USB". Now in the window that pops up, you should see USB 3.0 bus. Click on that and your drive should be listed. You should see "Speed" listed for each device it will be either "Up to 5Gb/sec" or it will say "Up to 480 Mb/sec".
You want both external drives as USB3 "Up to 5Gb/sec". If one or both are listed as 480Mb/sec, we have found a major problem.
Let us know what you find.

3rd party plug-ins are things like FX Factory plug-ins, or many others. If you have not installed any and are running "Plane Jane" bare FCPX no worries.

If you haven't customized anything in FCPX then there is no problem deleting the "Preferences" by holding down the Command + Option key while launching FCPX. This is the easiest way to clear any corrupt preference files.

No, render files, caches, thumbnails are not Preference files (aka) (plist files)

No need to delete the Final Cut Back Up files found in your Movies folder. These are generally small files that are tracking any changes you make to your project. They are automatically generated every 15 minutes. They are just data files, not media files and are part of your automatic save safety net.

Since you have 2 separate external drives, one for Library and one for Media, I wonder how you set up your Library preferences.
Did you select "Leave Files In Place" during import?
If you open up the "Library" Pane inside of FCPX it will tell you where your media is stored. If you did not select Leave Files In Place, then FCPX most likely copied the media files to your Library which is on the 3TB drive. They would also be on your other 1TB drive, but FCPX won't even use them if they reside in your Library bundle.
Let us know what you find.

Did you look at your "Diagnostic Reports"?

I sorta of suspect you may be using a USB2 external drive or possibly a NTFS formatted drive. USB2 is not fast enough for video editing.

What type of media are you editing? SD/1080/2K/4K??? What type of camera(s)?

Are you using more than 1 camera at a time? Lots of effects?

Hope this helps, Greg

FCPX unexpectadly closing down??????? 18 Mar 2016 10:43 #74442

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hard to find a stone left unturned after Greg's comprehensive post.

Just to reinforce Greg's advice that deleting backup libraries is not a good idea. As he said, they are relatively small, and as you found, they can be an important resource – enabling you to go back into "history" to open up a library/project prior to the time when any issues began to surface.

Glad to hear that the crashes have stopped. My guess continues to be that it was a corrupted library or project that was causing the issues – given that the backups apparently worked. Clearly free storage space is not a problem.

Russ

• Page: