fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible?

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 13 Mar 2016 17:50 #74260

• gaddster
  • gaddster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible?
MBP retina 15" 2014
imac 27 i7 2013
G-tech
Panasonic GH4, AC90, Gopro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 13 Mar 2016 21:28 #74262

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
When I first tried something like this about ten years ago, I exported the frame I wanted to freeze and imported it into Photoshop. I duplicated the layer, cut out the foreground element ( a person in this case ) and then exported that as a png with alpha. Then i could do a little camera move by layering the background and foreground separately along the Z axis in After effects or Motion. Depending on the sort of camera move, sometimes a bit of cleaning up to the background layer was required if the original 2d version of the foreground element started to show from behind. Something else I remember doing is blurring the background layer so as to declutter the space to make a text overlay more visible.
Later I learned about masks and realised that I usually didn't need the roundtrip to Photoshop at all.

Steve.

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 15 Mar 2016 20:50 #74380

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
After reading about the plug-in on this thread I actually went and bought it (there is a St Patricks Sale on at the moment too, so it worked out less than $30). I went ahead with it as I have a project that it would work well for on the credit sequence. It actually works pretty well for an inexpensive plug-in, its pretty intuitive, and has a number of variable parameters. I got some good results with it straight away just messing around.

Have you considered just buying it? $30 is pretty cheap...

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 16 Mar 2016 07:14 #74387

• gaddster
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Simonpwood

Yep I noticed it in the sale too and bought it ;)
MBP retina 15" 2014
imac 27 i7 2013
G-tech

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 16 Mar 2016 07:21 #74388

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah ok, cool.

One thing I didn't like was that the posterisation on the character (the Cut Out controls) was too extreme. I find that clicking the Remap Colours box with a posterisation of around 22, and selecting a colour in the cutout somewhat opposite to the background gives more pleasing results.

Its actually saved me a bunch of time (and money) on a opening credit sequence I had planned to outsource to an After Effects guy.

Good catch!

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 16 Mar 2016 09:04 #74389

• gaddster
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Can you post an example of what you mean?
MBP retina 15" 2014
imac 27 i7 2013
G-tech

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 16 Mar 2016 09:45 #74390

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah I don't have my computer in front of me now, but what I meant was that on the person I was cutting out; on the standard settings the posterisation tried to capture all the various tones and colours of his skin - it looked very messy. By clicking the Remap option in the cut-out control panel it just reduces his colours to the 2 colours on the band below (like yellow and black). This looks a lot cleaner, less messy, and lets him stand out in front of the background more. I thought he was blending in with the background too much without the remap setting.

I'm still playing around with it though, lots of options to look at...

how do i create an effect like Profreeze (pixel film studios).. possible? 19 Mar 2016 00:10 #74459

• filmjeff
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just FYI, Pixel Film Studios have been known to steal other people's plugins and sell them as their own.

www.motionvfx.com/mblog/how_to_make_mone...opyrights,p2217.html

• Page: