fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Keywording/rating strategy for multicam?

Keywording/rating strategy for multicam? 24 Feb 2016 17:21 #73727

• joema
  • joema's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 401
The FCPX approach is keyword and/or rate all clips before you edit. However what about a library with lots of multicam material? If using three or four-camera shoots, you are going through essentially the same content multiple times. You could argue that for a given keyword/favorite, only one specific angle is "good", so why not do the base clips. OTOH MC editing decisions are usually made within the angle viewer based on the dynamics of the MC clip.

The other approach is go ahead and make the multicam clips and rate/keyword those, not the base clips. You go through them once in the angle viewer, marking keywords/favorites.

Of course if you mark a favorite range on a MC clip, that doesn't specify which camera but it is usually obvious.

I was curious what the common practice is for other editors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keywording/rating strategy for multicam? 27 Nov 2020 19:47 #111081

This was my exact question… Hope someone answers. I don’t even seem to be able to Mark favorites on my multicam clips but maybe that’s a different problem. 

UPDATE: Realized my own problem: can’t mark favorites in the timeline, of course, which is where I was choosing angles. As usual, need to mark favorites in the browser. I was overlooking that. For now, regarding your issue, I am going to mark my favorites in the browser and not worry about camera angles. Then, once I place my favorites into my edit and they are on the timeline, I can switch angles within those favorites if I like.

Last edit: by Nezua.

Keywording/rating strategy for multicam? 27 Nov 2020 20:15 #111083

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 571
Remember that once you mark a Favorite, in the Browser, List Mode, you can rename the word “Favorite” to anything, such as a camera angle number or letter.

Keywording/rating strategy for multicam? 27 Nov 2020 22:23 #111088

Ben Balser wrote: Remember that once you mark a Favorite, in the Browser, List Mode, you can rename the word “Favorite” to anything, such as a camera angle number or letter.

I did not know that! that’s useful. Question: Once you rename your favorited I/O segments, can you then go again through the same clip and mark favorites that overlap your original favorites, if you name it something different? Or can favorites never overlap, despite having different names in the list version of the browser?

Last edit: by Nezua.

Keywording/rating strategy for multicam? 28 Nov 2020 04:31 #111091

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 571
Keyword Ranges can overlap.
Fav/Rej Ranges can not overlap, they will join into one long tagged range.
So if you do need your tagging of clip ranges to overlap, you use Keyword Ranges.

• Page: