TOPIC: Help with delayed playback

Help with delayed playback 24 Feb 2016 16:51 #73724

• rusty
  • rusty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings,

I am having a new issue that is not going away. I am editing an hour long documentary sequence, multi-cam 4k in a 1080p timeline. For the last three days I am getting the spinning beach ball for about 1 to 2 seconds and then an another second delay every time I tap the space bar (push play). I have restarted the machine three times, closed and reopened final cut, checked the speed of the server, etc. No issues anywhere that I can find. Everything is optimized and the problem is consistent whether I am playing back full quality or better performance; scopes and angles open or closed. I am editing on 2013 Mac Pro with dual d700 fx card. (this graphics card was warranted 6 months ago after a failure) plenty of ram. Editing off of an XSAN with fiber channel. No lag in speed on the XSAN.

Once it begins playback, it does fine. But stopping and then restarting it is a consistent lag with beach ball before it starts again.

Any ideas? I don't think its the graphics card?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with delayed playback 24 Feb 2016 17:10 #73725

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 297
There were some SAN performance improvements in 10.2.3. What version are you running?

Help with delayed playback 24 Feb 2016 17:28 #73728

• rusty
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We are running 10.2.3. It did improve out speed for the first two weeks, but then this new issue came up. I think it is independent of the update.

Help with delayed playback 24 Feb 2016 17:35 #73729

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 297
Roughly when the problem started, had you added any 3rd party plugins or applied computationally-intensive effects such as video noise reduction or de-flickering?

Another approach would be to experimentally run it on a direct-connected RAID array to explore if it's XSAN-related.

Yet another approach is create and use proxy files. Normally you don't need that on a nMP when doing multicam in a 1080p project, but it might be revealing.

An even simpler test is fully render the timeline and see how it behaves.

Help with delayed playback 24 Feb 2016 17:38 #73730

• rusty
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
No new plugins, at least not any that have been applied to this timeline. We did update final cut library manager, but that is it really. I have rendered the timeline with the same issue. I'll try the direct connect method and build a small local library to see if the problem is the same. Good idea!

Help with delayed playback 09 Apr 2020 02:02 #106024

• Doug Suiter
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
4 Years later and I am looking at your thread. I have discovered quite by accident that at least in my case it is something to do with the roles. If I turn off the dialog roles in the timeline index options the problem goes away. Anyone reading this - I hope that give a clue.

• Page: