fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 17:12 #64877

• Schwalbach
  • Schwalbach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I ma trying to import a photoshop layered file into FCPX.
It does import to the timeline but it show up as a normal image file, and NOT as a layered file.
I have tried many other files and nothing.
Please advise.
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 17:16 #64878

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 698
Where are you importing from? How are you importing? After you import into the browser, what icon appears with the file?

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 17:33 #64879

• Schwalbach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank tom.
I have tried several ways. dragging from finder to the time line, importing into the the event, etc.
Either way it show an image icon, both in the browser and timeline. It doesn't show the the 3 layered symbol on the upper left corner of the clip.
I wonder what am I doing wrong.

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 17:37 #64880

• Tom Wolsky
Can you post the PSD file somewhere like Dropbox?

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 20:06 #64884

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1280
From the Browser, if you right-click it, Open In Timeline, you only see the flattened file, no layers? Odd...

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 20:24 #64886

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
What version of Photoshop are you using? And what version FCP?

Are the layers in your ps file text layers? If so convert them to smart object see if that works. You should use the import media command in FC. Then you should see the little icon that looks like stack of paper (layers) on the upper left corner of the clip.

And one other thing to do first is to go to File>Delete generated files>unused render files.

Keep us posted. Layered PS files are giving a bunch of us headaches. See this: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...e-issue-is-it-solved

Jonathan

Last edit: by Jonathan Levin.

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 23 May 2015 23:22 #64888

• ianstubbs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Sorry - posted to the wrong thread. :(

Last edit: by ianstubbs. Reason: Posted to wrong thread in error

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 24 May 2015 01:29 #64890

• Schwalbach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 24 May 2015 01:31 #64891

• Schwalbach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
if I do that, that OPEN IN TIME LINE is not available (it is greyed out)

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 24 May 2015 01:32 #64892

• Schwalbach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
photoshop version 12, FCPX 10.2

Jonathan Levin wrote: What version of Photoshop are you using? And what version FCP?

Are the layers in your ps file text layers? If so convert them to smart object see if that works. You should use the import media command in FC. Then you should see the little icon that looks like stack of paper (layers) on the upper left corner of the clip.

And one other thing to do first is to go to File>Delete generated files>unused render files.

Keep us posted. Layered PS files are giving a bunch of us headaches. See this: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...e-issue-is-it-solved

Jonathan

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 24 May 2015 02:02 #64894

• Tom Wolsky
I can't see what's wrong with the file on my system but it doesn't import as layered for me either. If I open it in Pixelmator and export a PSD file, I get all the layers in FCP, included the switched off ones. It text layers aren't coming across as they are, probably not smart objects but vector shapes. The file is also in CMYK. It really should be 8-bit RGB.

If I drag your file into Motion and bring in layers, I only see three layers and they're blank. I do not see the the three preview layers that are switched on.

Photoshop layered files (.PSD) into FCPX - not showing layers 01 Nov 2017 12:13 #91424

• Timo Bongers
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Strugeld with this my self. The solution is to change your Photoshop project from 16 bit to 8 bit.

Go to: "Image / Mode / and then select 8 bit"

• Page: